Creating Reports based on hierarchical XML file

John

Hi,

We have XML files (and its XSD) that are dump of our tree-like data
structure in memory. These XML files may potentially have unlimited
levels of nesting because some elements can contain themselves
(recursively defined).

We want to build some reports using some third party reporting tool
(Crystal Report, for example).

The first question is - is there any way for Crystal Reports to
process such complicated (some elements have recursive definitions)
XML file directly? If not, anyone knows any other reporting tool that
can do that job?

The second question is - if we have to develop a small application
that converts the XML to dataset, anyone who has done similar thing
before can give us some recommendations as to which approach is the
easiest to take (Java, .NET, etc.)? I'd appreciate it if someone can
point me to some resources to get me started.

Another approach is to convert the hierarchical XML into relational
table set and store the data into relational database. In that case,
the reporting tool can simply read from the database. I'd appreciate
it if someone can let me know if there is any softeware/program that
can do the conversion. (I heard that some database server can do the
conversion from XML to relational tables, but didn't find anything
concrete.)

Any comment/recommendation is appreciated!

Thank you for your help in advance!!

DA Morgan

John said:
[...]

Crystal can't but Oracle can.

But before we get to that what made you think it was appropriate
to post to every usenet group you could spell?

The solution is to use the native functionality in the database
to unnest the XML.

The solution to your obnoxious cross-posting is to learn usenet
etiquette.

Wole Ogunremi

[...]

IMO, you're better off writing your report with xsl. Call nested nodes
recursive using call-template passing necessary parameters as
required. It will probably take less time than configuring crystal
reports and won't cost you anything.

Wole