cross platform shared libraries

RShadow

ok, this is going to drive me crazy. I did this a long time ago, but
forgot how it I got it all to work. Now I just can't get anything to
work. Can somebody please refer me to an example, book reference, or
other resource that can explain how to build and use a shared library
(.dll and .so) that is cross platform compatible. I understand that
the loading of the library will be different from windows to linux, and
the build process will be different, but the actual library code
shouldn't have to be changed. What I want to do is basicly just export
an entire class.

Dave Townsend

RShadow said:
ok, this is going to drive me crazy. I did this a long time ago, but
forgot how it I got it all to work. Now I just can't get anything to
work. Can somebody please refer me to an example, book reference, or
other resource that can explain how to build and use a shared library
(.dll and .so) that is cross platform compatible. I understand that
the loading of the library will be different from windows to linux, and
the build process will be different, but the actual library code
shouldn't have to be changed. What I want to do is basicly just export
an entire class.

This is very off topic, but since its Christmas....
I had this problem recently, my company however had adopted ANT as part
of its build methodology. ANT can be extended by downloading java Jar
files
in particular cctask.jar which provides a crossplatform abstraction which
you can
build on Linix and Windows (prob. Mac as well). The details of the
compiler/linker
options are quite different for each platform, so its nice that ANT takes
care of this if
you have a number of libraries to build.

dave