css formatting problems.

ppcguy

i've got a page with one huge table (don't ask) and a static
menu at the top-right corner.

i want the menu to be static even when the table is scrolled.

everything works - except the scroll bars are not positioned
correctly.

i'm working with ie for now.

can someone pls tell me why before i go more bonkers.

the * HTML {} in the file is supposed a ie kludge - executes
only under ie.

START OF .html file
"http://www.w3c.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/loose.dtd">
<HTML xml:lang="en" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<HEAD><TITLE></TITLE>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=utf-8">

BODY {
PADDING: 0px;
MARGIN: 0px;
OVERFLOW: auto;
WIDTH: 100%;
HEIGHT: 100%;
}

* HTML {
OVERFLOW: hidden
}

#menu {
DISPLAY: block; FONT-SIZE: 0.9em; RIGHT: 30px; LINE-HEIGHT: 1.7em;
FONT-FAMILY: verdana, arial, sans-serif; POSITION: fixed; TOP: 5px;
TEXT-ALIGN: right
}

* HTML #menu {
POSITION: absolute
}

</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FORM action=/link method=post>
<DIV id="menu">
This is designed to be static - positioned top-right corner.
</DIV>
<TABLE WIDTH=2000 HEIGHT=1000 STYLE="background-color: green">
<TBODY><TR><TD>
BIG TABLE!
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
</FORM></BODY></HTML>
----------------------------------

Jukka K. Korpela

ppcguy said:
i've got a page with one huge table (don't ask)

Why would we ask? We know without asking that you should change the page
design so that you don't have a page with one huge table. (At times, there
_is_ a reason to have a huge table. But if that were the case, you would
not have written "don't ask".)
and a static
menu at the top-right corner.

Stop trying that.
i want the menu to be static even when the table is scrolled.

Stop wanting that.
everything works

Nope. Huge tables don't work.
- except the scroll bars are not positioned correctly.

Sorry, my crystal ball has been displaced.
i'm working with ie for now.

Get a better browser. That won't improve your pages except indirectly, but
it will improve your browsing experience.
can someone pls tell me why before i go more bonkers.

You haven't really told what your problem is. If you want help with a
specific page, show the URL.
the * HTML {} in the file is supposed a ie kludge - executes
only under ie.

Stop using stupid tricks. They hit back one day.
START OF .html file

Show the URL. Or maybe rewrite the page first - it's probably much easier
than fixing the current design.
"http://www.w3c.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/loose.dtd">
<HTML xml:lang="en" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">

You can't make up your mind about HTML vs XHTML, can you?
<HEAD><TITLE></TITLE>

Oh my. Rewrite the page, but design it properly first.
<TABLE WIDTH=2000 HEIGHT=1000 STYLE="background-color: green">

Oh, I feel so trolled.

The Eclectic Electric

Jukka K. Korpela said:
[...]

Thank heaven for helpful souls like you.

+e

Jukka K. Korpela

The Eclectic Electric said:
Thank heaven for helpful souls like you.

You're welcome. Could you do the favor of not changing your forged From
field and not stopping mindless fullquoting as long as you have no clue?
Thank you in advance. HTH.

ppcguy

You haven't really told what your problem is. If you want help with a
specific page, show the URL.
well if you weren't so busy being so opinionated...maybe you would
have seen the question.

i don't like the big table myself...but the application calls for it.
actually i exaggerated the size - but the problem occurs as soon as there's
both vertical + horizontal scrolling requirement.

don't use ie? close to 90% of users out there have ie. so the page has
to be compatible. it's a real world app!

include url? the whole page is appended at the end of the post.

i also cut out a lot of non-relevent code (hence <title></title>...so
that viewers would find it easier to study the code.

so instead of wasting bandwidth - either be helpful or move on!

Jedi Fans

ppcguy said:
don't use ie? close to 90% of users out there have ie. so the page has
to be compatible. it's a real world app!

Actually its closer to 80% now
<http://www.xitimonitor.com/etudes/equipement10.asp>
In french but the picture shows it more clearly...

<http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp>

Point is, design for a standards compliant browser, then hack it to make
it work in IE, validate along the way as well...
include url? the whole page is appended at the end of the post.
Still much easier for us to help if you include a URL instead of the
code snippet, less bandwidth for us, and less time diagnosing the
problem as we can use our tools directly instead of making a seperate
new file...

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, ppcguy quothed:

You should have said how. Is the vertical appx. 16 pixels to the right?
include url? the whole page is appended at the end of the post.

So we have to open a new file, cut-and-paste from the news message, and
hope everything is functional?
so instead of wasting bandwidth - either be helpful or move on!

I enjoy wasting bandwidth. It gives me a prurient thrill.

Jukka K. Korpela

ppcguy said:
well if you weren't so busy being so opinionated...maybe you would
have seen the question.

I saw the question, but as I explained, it was far too vague and confused
to be answered.
include url? the whole page is appended at the end of the post.

No it isn't. And I asked for a URL, not for the whole page. Posting the URL
is minimal courtesy and much more sensible than posting a copy of HTML
code. Read a good book on Web authoring to understand why a URL gives much
more information (and in a much more useful way).
i also cut out a lot of non-relevent code

Thus, you say that what you appended was, in fact, far from the whole page,
even if we regard HTML alone as the "whole page".
so instead of wasting bandwidth - either be helpful or move on!

I was helpful, but you decided to remain unhelped and ignorant.

Would you, too, be so kind as to keep using your forged From field, as well
as keep insulting readers by not bothering to write normal English with
mixed case and adequate punctuation? They are so useful signals of bogosity
and resistance to being helped. Thank you in advance.

ppcguy

Would you, too, be so kind as to keep using your forged From field, as
well
as keep insulting readers by not bothering to write normal English with
mixed case and adequate punctuation? They are so useful signals of bogosity
and resistance to being helped. Thank you in advance.
my friend...you have issues!

pls put your next appointment with your therapist to good use...
i'll be praying for you.

rf

ppcguy said:
my friend...you have issues!

pls put your next appointment with your therapist to good use...
i'll be praying for you.

Welcome to usenet.

May I introduce you to our Mr Korpela. He is one of most intersting
characters in here.

He is also one of the most knowledgeable!

If you don't like the way he says what he does say then just put your
tinfoil hat on and grin and bear it.

Don't whatever you do scratch back at him :)

Cheers
Richard.

Sid Ismail

: > Would you, too, be so kind as to keep using your forged From field, as
: well
: > as keep insulting readers by not bothering to write normal English with
: > mixed case and adequate punctuation? They are so useful signals of
: bogosity
: > and resistance to being helped. Thank you in advance.
: >
: my friend...you have issues!
:
: pls put your next appointment with your therapist to good use...
: i'll be praying for you.

Do you have any idea who you addressing? Do you know what his
stature is in the DP industry? Do you have any idea how useful his
comments are, in this Newsgroup and others?

Now dispense with your "bogosity and resistance"!

Sid

william

May I introduce you to our Mr Korpela. He is one of most intersting
characters in here.

No thanks!
He is also one of the most knowledgeable!

So that doesn't give him the right to be an arrogant git.
If you don't like the way he says what he does say then just put your
tinfoil hat on and grin and bear it.

Why who died and made him King of alt.html, if he doesn't like the question
why bother with an answer.

Alan J. Flavell

don't use ie? close to 90% of users out there have ie.

"have" IE? Oh, sure: /I/ "have" IE - it's a necessity for getting those
security updates from galactic HQ. I wouldn't use it instead of a web
browser, though.
so the page has to be compatible. it's a real world app!

Oh, IE can give a pretty fair impression of rendering pages that have been
designed for the WWW, aside from a few little peculiarities of its own.

What's a lot more worrying, about those who use IE for browsing the web,
are those untrusted web sites out there that have been designed
specifically to search out IE's little weaknesses, and use them for their
mischievous purposes.

Can we take it, though, that you're willing to trust your own web pages?
Then I'd recommend designing for the WWW, and also reviewing it in IE to
iron out the occasional glitches. If in doubt, Keep It Simple. IE is
unlikely to keep up if you use the WWW in too complex a fashion - MS would
rather persuade you to use IE-specific techniques that will fail with a
proper www-compatible browser. And positioning is particularly fraught,
so you're putting yourself on the bleeding edge there.
include url? the whole page is appended at the end of the post.

Oh dear.
i also cut out a lot of non-relevent code (hence <title></title>...so

If you knew whether it was relevant, you wouldn't need to ask for advice,
methinks.
so instead of wasting bandwidth - either be helpful or move on!

Good idea - have you tried it? Several have already asked you to be
helpful by providing a working example URL, but you've only wasted
bandwidth by being rude to them. I wouldn't be surprised if you were
already festering in some killfiles as a result.

good luck, have fun

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, william quothed:
So that doesn't give him the right to be an arrogant git.

What's a "git?" I've heard of a verb-form ("Annie, Git Your Guns") but
any noun-form alludes me.

Dylan Parry

Using a pointed stick and pebbles, Neredbojias scraped:
What's a "git?"

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=git

git - n : a person who is deemed to be despicable or contemptible; "only
a rotter would do that"; "kill the rat"; "throw the bum out"; "you
cowardly little pukes!"; "the British call a contemptible person a `git'"

'Tis the strangest entry that I have ever read on dictionary.com, but
nevertheless it makes its point, I think.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Dylan Parry quothed:
Using a pointed stick and pebbles, Neredbojias scraped:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=git

git - n : a person who is deemed to be despicable or contemptible; "only
a rotter would do that"; "kill the rat"; "throw the bum out"; "you
cowardly little pukes!"; "the British call a contemptible person a `git'"

Hmm, I thought they called 'em Irish.
'Tis the strangest entry that I have ever read on dictionary.com, but
nevertheless it makes its point, I think.

If ya wanna see strange, in the phrase "Git along little dogie," the
"dogie" isn't a bow-wow but a bovine! Go figure.

dorayme

From: Sid Ismail said:
: > Would you, too, be so kind as to keep using your forged From field, as
: well
: > as keep insulting readers by not bothering to write normal English with
: > mixed case and adequate punctuation? They are so useful signals of
: bogosity
: > and resistance to being helped. Thank you in advance.
: >
: my friend...you have issues!
:
: pls put your next appointment with your therapist to good use...
: i'll be praying for you.

Do you have any idea who you addressing? Do you know what his
stature is in the DP industry? Do you have any idea how useful his
comments are, in this Newsgroup and others?

Now dispense with your "bogosity and resistance"!

Sid

Which makes the OPs remark about praying for Him utterly ridiculous...

dorayme

dorayme

From: Neredbojias said:
With neither quill nor qualm, william quothed:

What's a "git?" I've heard of a verb-form ("Annie, Git Your Guns") but
any noun-form alludes me.

A Git is a Tosser... OK?

But never mind this, you sound like you might be able to do some
unpleasant things competently... I want you to track down and
fix that Mad Hatter character who infests my email program... I
have rewards, not only an introduction to Russell Crowe but also
a good New Zealand joke or two...

dorayme

Leonard Blaisdell

dorayme said:
A Git is a Tosser... OK?

But what's a tosser? I can only guess accurately.
I want you to track down and
fix that Mad Hatter character who infests my email program... I
have rewards, not only an introduction to Russell Crowe but also
a good New Zealand joke or two...

I know you use OS9 unless you have upgraded recently. To upgrade your
newsreader, visit <http://www.smfr.org/mtnw/>. I have the OSX version
and it works wonderfully at making unwanted posts in a newsgroup
disappear. If you actually mean that the Mad Hatter is bothering you by
email, I'm not sure what to recommend. My ISP uses SpamAssassin and I
use Eudora to stop unwanted email. It really works.
If this works for you, I'll listen to the NZ joke, but Neredbojias will
have to travel there to meet Russell.
The OS9 version of MT-Newswatcher has a few minor problems that the
author, Simon Fraser, is aware of. They may or may not affect you.
My philosophy is to 'never' integrate your news, email and web
experience.

leo

tm

The OS9 version of MT-Newswatcher has a few minor problems that the
author, Simon Fraser, is aware of. They may or may not affect you.

It does have a working killfilter, tho.