css hover not working in IE

Discussion in 'HTML' started by saurabh9, Sep 29, 2008.

  1. saurabh9

    saurabh9 Guest

    saurabh9, Sep 29, 2008

  2. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed saurabh9 <>
    writing in :
    And it's going to fail miserably for users without javascript enabled.
    Javascript should be an enhancement, not vital to the page.

    Adrienne Boswell, Sep 29, 2008

  3. saurabh9

    Els Guest

    Looking at your stylesheet I see float:centre;
    That doesn't actually exist. Float has left or right, no center.

    Also, you are defining font-size in pixels - this means they won't be
    resizable for a large part of the visitors. It's better to use %,
    where 100% is the visitor's default font-size.

    As for the problem you are asking about, IE6 can only understand
    :hover on <a href...>, not on any other element. In IE7 it works fine.

    Els, Sep 29, 2008
  4. saurabh9

    saurabh9 Guest

    I put the size in px because the requirement is that the table should
    not be wider than 800px. Can I implement this requirement in a better
    way?

    saurabh9, Sep 29, 2008
  5. saurabh9

    Els Guest

    Tell the requirement-person which they prefer: stick to 800px width
    always, or have people be able to read their form.

    Also, setting font-size in pixels only has effect in IE - in Firefox
    and Opera for example, even the pixel sized fonts resize when the user
    wants them to.

    Els, Sep 29, 2008
  6. IE<7 does not support :hover on anything but <a>. There is, however, a
    JavaScript based solution using IEs proprietary behaviour property:

    http://www.xs4all.nl/~peterned/csshover.html

    Greetings,
    Thomas

    Thomas Mlynarczyk, Sep 29, 2008
  7. saurabh9

    richard Guest

    Define the table width as 800 pixels.
    In css you can show table {width:800px} or <table width="800px">.
    no dot or # before table in css.

    richard, Sep 29, 2008
  8. Correct CSS syntax
    Wrong HTML syntax, HTML attribute's do not have units except '%'

    True when specifying an type selector:

    table { /* styles TABLE element */ }

    You could have a class or id table, although probably not a very good
    idea...

    Class selector:
    ..table {/* styles elements of class 'table' */}

    e.g., <div class="table">... or <ul class="table">...

    ID selectors:
    #table {/* styles elements of id 'table' */}

    e.g., <div id="table">... or <ul id="table">...

    Jonathan N. Little, Sep 29, 2008
  9. saurabh9

    dorayme Guest

    Allowing the font size to be whatever most users wants does not
    necessarily mean the table has to go beyond 800px because there is a
    mechanism called wrapping within table cells that will kick in to take
    care of most situations.

    dorayme, Sep 29, 2008