curses! trouble with pads and panels

Discussion in 'Python' started by Edmond Ho, Sep 2, 2003.

  1. Edmond Ho

    Edmond Ho Guest

    Hi, I'm having trouble with a small curses program. I'm associate a pad with
    a panel. As I understand, a pad is supposed to be just a window with an
    arbitrary size. That seems to imply that a pad can be treated like a normal
    window when working with panels. I have this code:

    #!/usr/bin/env python

    import curses
    import curses.panel

    pad = curses.newpad(100, 100)
    win = curses.newwin(1, 80, 0, 0)

    padp = curses.panel.new_panel(pad)
    winp = curses.panel.new_panel(win)

    If you comment out the line 13 (where padp is declared), the program is
    fine, albeit useless. But with the line 13, I get this error:

    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "", line 13, in ?
    padp = curses.panel.new_panel(pad)
    _curses_panel.error: curses function returned NULL

    So, what am I doing wrong?

    cheers, ed
    Edmond Ho, Sep 2, 2003

  2. not exactly - some special handling is needed in the library to make it
    treat pads like a normal window. Your example may be a case where it's
    not implemented.
    Thomas Dickey, Sep 2, 2003