Custom TreeNode for asp.net 2.0 treeview control

Rickey Whitworth

I want to display a treeview control that is tied to a sql database.

The child nodes will be of different types, meaning they will have different
attributes and different tables

-Root
--Service1 (select * from services) value = serviceID = 1
---Database1 (select * from databases where serviceID = ?)
---Website1 (select * from websites where serviceID = ?)

When I click on a node, I want to display attributes of that node in the
right pane. I have handled this before in a windows application by creating
a custom treeNode that has an extra field for type (service, database or
website).

Here is my custom tree node and my enumeration for type

Public Enum NodeType
Service
Application
Database
Website
End Enum

Public Class CustomTreeNode
Inherits TreeNode

Private _ntype As NodeType

Public Property NType() As NodeType
Get
Return _ntype
End Get
Set(ByVal value As NodeType)
_ntype = value
End Set
End Property

Public Sub New(ByVal text As String, ByVal value As String, ByVal
nType As NodeType)
MyBase.New(text, value)
_ntype = nType
End Sub

Public Sub New()
MyBase.New()
End Sub
End Class

And I get an error in this function

Protected Sub TreeView1_TreeNodePopulate(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As
System.Web.UI.WebControls.TreeNodeEventArgs) Handles
TreeView1.TreeNodePopulate
If e.Node.ChildNodes.Count = 0 Then
Select Case e.Node.Depth
Case 0
FillAuthors(e.Node)
Case 1
FillTitlesForAuthors(e.Node)
Case 2
FillDatabase(e.Node)
End Select
End If
End Sub

Unable to cast object of type 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.TreeNode' to type
'CustomTreeNode'

I'm not really sure how to make this work. I can give more code samples as
needed, but I just need someone who can point me in the right direction. Is
there some other function or property of the treenode I need to override, do
I need to create a custom treeview control and override some event in it?

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Rickey,

Welcome.
As for the ASP.NET 2.0 TreeView control, we can create custom control to
derived from it , also define our custom TreeNode class.... Also,
currently I'm also discussing such similiar question with other guy in the
newsgroup, here is the web link to the thread:

#Inheriting from the TreeNode class
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webc
ontrols/browse_thread/thread/b0f3459b35105353/df2f38d4c2b2dc20?lnk=st&q=Inhe
riting+from+the+TreeNode+class&rnum=1&hl=en#df2f38d4c2b2dc20

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security