data access

hugh welford

Hi using XP Pro with IIS5 installed on my machine for offline development.

I have a DSN set up which points to an ACCESS database saved outside the web
in c: drive directory using no system database. The database itself has full
read/write priviledges.

The .asp page reads the data table, but on update I get " Microsoft OLE DB
Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)
[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Cannot update. Database or object
is read-only.
/dating/www/registerconf.asp, line 127 "

When I go to the database directory in Windows Explorer and right click for
properties, it tells me that the directory attributes are read only (green
square in the check box). So, I uncheck the box and save, and it asks me to
confirm that I want to un-set the read-only attibute, but the attribute does
not change, and the green bax is back when I look again.

Confused to say the least.

Any help from anyone?

Thanks in adbvance, Hugh

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

1. XP Pro has IIS 5.1, not 5, just to be nit-picky
2. Instead of a DSN that uses old ODBC technology, consider switching to
OLEDB. You can get your OLEDB connection string at
www.connectionstrings.com. (Look at Access\OLE DB, OleDbConnection area.)
3. Your IUSR account needs to have read/write/modify NTFS permissions to
the ~directory~ housing the .mdb file, and make sure that your .mdb file is
set to inherit permissions from its parent (the directory that it's in.)

Also see http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2009

Ray at work

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Your answer will be found in this article:
http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2009 - 80004005 errors

Read the article, but the short answer is:
Assign read/write filesystem permissions for the folder containing your
database to the IUSR_<machinename> account (aka Internet Guest Account).

Another recommendation, which won't help with this particular issue but
should be followed, is to not use a DSN. ODBC is deprecated technology which
does not supply the functionality and robustness supplied by the native Jet
OLEDB provider. See www.connectionstrings.com for examples of connection
strings using the Jet OLEDB provider.

Bob Barrows

Oh wait! More below

Hugh said:
[...]

I missed this part! Are you an administrator on that box? If so, and you
still can't clear the read-only attribute, I have no clue what you need to
do.

Bob Barrows