database without installation again

andrew_s

Hi!

I'm looking for any database which I could use without need of instalation.
I've read some threads here but I couldn't find any complete answer.
On my ISP's server I can use Python throu cgi only. There is Python 2.4.3
and it has only standard library modules and no possibility to oficially
install anything else.
This version has embedded Berkeley DB (bsddb) and it could be OK for storing
data only, but I need a possibility to use simple selects with group by and
aggregates, which I think are not supported by bsddb. SQLite could be good
choice, but unfortunately it's included in standard Python library from
version 2.5.

Any ideas? Maybe is it possible to "install" by myself something like SQLite
or MySQLdb in my cgi-bin directory? I've tried it putting files from MySQLdb
module, but there was errors with missing libssl.so or sth. I think, the
best solution would be db stored in binary file with interface in based on
standard Python library, but is there anything like that??

TIA!

Larry Bates

andrew_s said:
[...]

Change to an ISP that allows you:

MySQL databases
root access to your virtual machine

By the time you do the research and/or write something you will have spent more
time than moving to another ISP. Its not all that hard and they are CHEAP.

-Larry

Ben Finney

andrew_s said:
I'm looking for any database which I could use without need of
instalation.

Python 2.5 comes with SQLite built in. SQLite allows database
interaction without a corresponding server; all the code is in the
client, in this case provided in the Python standard library.

<URL:http://docs.python.org/lib/module-sqlite3.html>

Previous versions of Python have standard library support for DBM
files, a non-relational, key-value system for storing data in local
files.

<URL:http://docs.python.org/lib/module-anydbm.html>
said:
Any ideas? Maybe is it possible to "install" by myself something
like SQLite or MySQLdb in my cgi-bin directory?

If you can set your PYTHONPATH environment variable to point to a
directory under your control, you can install Python packages and
modules in that directory.

<URL:http://docs.python.org/inst/search-path.html>

bruno.desthuilliers

Hi!

I'm looking for any database which I could use without need of instalation.
I've read some threads here but I couldn't find any complete answer.
On my ISP's server I can use Python throu cgi only. There is Python 2.4.3
and it has only standard library modules and no possibility to oficially
install anything else.

Can't you install additional stuff in your own directory, then correct
your PYTHONPATH as needed ?

Any ideas? Maybe is it possible to "install" by myself something like SQLite
or MySQLdb in my cgi-bin directory? I've tried it putting files from MySQLdb
module, but there was errors with missing libssl.so or sth.

MySQL is a server software. You cannot just drop some files and expect
the whole thing to work.
I think, the
best solution would be db stored in binary file with interface in based on
standard Python library, but is there anything like that??

SQLite ? Gadfly ?