DataList's EditCommand event not being raised

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Datagrid Control' started by Nathan Sokalski, Sep 5, 2005.

  1. I am attempting to raise the EditCommand event of a DataList when a Button
    in the ItemTemplate is clicked. Here is the HTML used for the ItemTemplate:

    <ItemTemplate>
    <asp:Label id=lblEvent1 runat="server" EnableViewState="False"
    Width="175px" text='<%# DataBinder.Eval(Container,"DataItem.eventname")
    %>'></asp:Label>
    <asp:Label id=lblDescription1 runat="server" EnableViewState="False"
    Width="500px" text='<%# DataBinder.Eval(Container,"DataItem.description")
    %>'></asp:Label>
    <asp:Label id=lblDate1 runat="server" EnableViewState="False" Width="100px"
    text='<%# DataBinder.Eval(Container,"DataItem.eventdate","{0:d}")
    %>'></asp:Label>
    <asp:Label id=lblDetails1 runat="server" EnableViewState="False"
    Width="115px" text='<%# DataBinder.Eval(Container,"DataItem.details")
    %>'></asp:Label>
    <asp:Button id="btnEdit1" runat="server" Width="80px" Font-Bold="True"
    CausesValidation="False" Text="Edit Event" CommandName="edit"></asp:Button>
    </ItemTemplate>

    Here is the event handler used to handle the EditCommand:

    Private Sub datEditEvents_EditCommand(ByVal source As Object, ByVal e As
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataListCommandEventArgs) Handles
    datEditEvents.EditCommand

    Label1.Text = "You clicked index " & CStr(e.Item.ItemIndex)

    datEditEvents.EditItemIndex = e.Item.ItemIndex

    Dim events As New DataSet

    Dim myconnection As New
    OracleConnection(System.Configuration.ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings("connectionString"))

    Dim cmdselect As New OracleCommand("SELECT * FROM eventlist ORDER BY
    eventdate", myconnection)

    Dim eventsadapter As New OracleDataAdapter(cmdselect)

    eventsadapter.SelectCommand = cmdselect

    eventsadapter.Fill(events, "eventlist")

    datEditEvents.DataSource = events

    datEditEvents.DataBind()

    End Sub

    Notice that I did include the CommandName="edit" in my Button control and
    the Handles clause in my event handler. When I click the button, nothing
    happens. I tested this using a Label which you see as the first line in my
    event handler. What am I forgetting? Is the CommandName attribute
    case-sensitive? Am I using the wrong value? Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

    Nathan Sokalski, Sep 5, 2005