dataset into javascript array

Guest

Hi,

I am trying to minimise postback in my web app. I have a number of
inter-dependent dropdowns, an onselectedindexchange event fires for each one
which obviously causes a postback. Is there a way I can get all my data from
a dataset\datareader into some javascript arrays and then use client side
events to handle the inter-dependent dropdowns? Any code examples?

I know in ASP.Net 2.0 there is a feature called "Client Callback" which
sounds like something I will use but in the meantime has anyone achieved what
I am trying to do?

Thanks

Guest

Hi,

AJAX.Net looks very promising, it certainly will improve the user experience.

There is one thing I am struggling to achieve with it, I have an asp.net
dropdown list. This has autpostback=False and has a clinet side OnChange
event which fires off a ajax server side function. This function retrives
rows for a dependent dropdown list and the value of the selected item from
the first dropdown is needed. But referencing dropdown1.selecteditem.value in
the server side fucntion doesn't work.

This is I assume becasuse there is no postback and the server doesnt know
the dropdown1 has changed, it has changed only on the client side. How can I
get the selecteditem.value into the ajax server side function?