date-format in mobile calendar control ?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Mobile' started by Koen Hoorelbeke, Nov 15, 2003.

  1. Hi there,

    I have a calendar control on a mobile page (phone). Since the phone can't
    display the control it shows different pages and manners to select a date
    (pretty cool). However, all my dates are showed in mm-dd-yyyy format, where
    it should be dd-mm-yyyy (CultureInfo : "nl-NL").

    Now, when you choose to 'type a date', you get in the display: "Type a date:
    (MMDDYYYY)" and then the texbox where you should enter the date (with
    default current date as f.e. 11152003).

    It should show like : "Typ een datum: (DDMMYYYY)" (the dutch translation,
    I'll do myself if possible) and textbox with default entry: 15112003.

    And it should also accept this entered date as a date with format ddmmyyyy
    (otherwise I'll get an error on 15112003).

    How is this possible.

    Many thanks in advance.

    Greetingz,
    Koen Hoorelbeke.

    Koen Hoorelbeke, Nov 15, 2003

  2. Koen Hoorelbeke

    MSFT Guest

    Hi Koen,

    Thank you for the post. Currently I am try to find someone to assist you on
    this issue and will update in the newsgroup soon.

    Regards,

    Luke
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    MSFT, Nov 17, 2003

  3. Hi Koen,

    The way to get the calendar to accept different formats is to set your
    culture to dutch.

    Here is a c# example of how to do this:

    using System.Threading;
    using System.Globalization;

    CultureInfo ci = new CultureInfo("nl-nl");
    Thread.CurrentThread.CurrentCulture = ci;
    Calendar1.CalendarEntryText = "MYTEXT";
    }

    This will set the format to the dutch format.

    For the other question, I am researching the issue. The strings you see
    "Type a date" are localized, but I need to find out what languages this
    section is localized in. The CalendarEntryText property only applies to
    the opening screen unfortunately.

    So, I will reply to this post and let you know when I find out.

    Thanks,
    Earl Beaman
    Microsoft, ASP.NET

    This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
    rights.

    Earl Beaman[MS], Nov 19, 2003
  4. Earl Beaman[MS], Nov 19, 2003
  5. So, I need to install this on the server, or just on my development station
    ? If I need to install it on my server, does it effect the working of other
    applications ? I mean, will I still be able to get it in English then ?

    Tx in advance.

    Greetingz,
    Koen.

    Koen Hoorelbeke, Nov 20, 2003
  6. Hi Koen,

    I'm not sure. I will have to run some tests to find the answer.

    Thanks,
    Earl

    Earl Beaman[MS], Nov 22, 2003
  7. Hi Koen,

    Here is the answer for you!

    You can just install the regular english 1.1 framework on your server.
    Then download and install the langpack.
    The startpage for the langpacks is
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=04DBAF2E-61ED-43F4-
    8D2A-CCB2BAB7B8EB&displaylang=en

    Then change the language in the dropdown on the right side of the page.

    Now you will have both english and dutch messages.
    To utilize dutch, you will need to change the currentculture and
    currentuiculture to dutch.

    The date format is governed by Thread.CurrentThread.CurrentCulture, while
    the message ("type a date" or "Type een datum") language is governed by the
    Thread.CurrentThread.CurrentUICulture.

    Hope this helps,

    Earl Beaman[MS], Dec 2, 2003