  1. what's the simplest way to instantiate a java.util.Date given a
    java.lang.String in RFC822 format?

    i.e.

    String d = "Wed, 23 Jul 2003 19:51:20 GMT";

    Date date = [ new Date() based on above String]

    I know I could parse it manually but it seems kludgy - I'd have expected
    some inbuilt method in the java.[util|text].* hierarchy somewhere since
    it's such an old and well used date format. Scanning the javadocs for
    Date, DateFormat, Calendar et al didn't offer anything obvious - unless
    I've missed it.

    tia,

    Darren Davison, Jul 23, 2003

  2. javax.mail.internet.MimeMessage has a getDate method that
    creates a java.util.Date off the rfc 822 Date header. Get a
    kludge from there :)

    -Manish

    Manish Jethani, Jul 23, 2003

  3. Consider SimpleDateFormat.

    http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/text/SimpleDateFormat.html

    Try "EEE, d MMM yyyy HH:mm:ss z". I haven't, so be warned

    HTH,

    Shripathi Kamath, Jul 23, 2003