DBI suddenly not working...

doofus

HELP!

If I put the line 'use DBI' anywhere in my program it gives up and
produces no out put. So, for example, the prog

print "jkl";
use DBI;

stops and has a think for about a half second and then exits silently.
It is evidently loading DBI and then totally going nuts.

Furthermore, if I copy the DBI.pm from c:\perl\site\lib into current
dir, and then rename the original in the libraries, the above script
works fine.

Isn't that really weird?

I think my Win2k box has been high on something mind altering for about
a couple of months now.

But I have this requirement to do a really urgent database job and now I
really need my MySQL connectivity to code and test in perl/MySQL.

I know there's probably not much I can do, but if anybody happens to
know windows and has a sense of what it could be, please help.

This system was happily interacting with MySQL about a couple of months
ago. Don't know what's happened.

Thanks for any reply.

best,

doofus

PS. Here's some output. Don't know if it will help. Sorry.

C:\scripts\trial>perl -e "print 99; use DBI";
jkl99
C:\scripts\trial>perl -e "print 99; use DBI";

C:\scripts\trial>perl -e "print 99; use DBI";
jkl99
C:\scripts\trial>perl -e "print 99; use DBI";

C:\scripts\trial>perl -v

Copyright 1987-2002, Larry Wall

Binary build 806 provided by ActiveState Corp.
http://www.ActiveState.com
Built 00:45:44 Mar 31 2003

Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License
or the
GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5 source kit.

this system using `man perl' or `perldoc perl'. If you have access to
the
Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.com/, the Perl Home
Page.

C:\scripts\trial>

doofus

doofus said:
HELP!

If I put the line 'use DBI' anywhere in my program it gives up and
produces no out put. So, for example, the prog

print "jkl";
use DBI;

stops and has a think for about a half second and then exits silently.
It is evidently loading DBI and then totally going nuts.
OK. Just for the record, I seem to have fixed it by reverting to 5.6.

{:/

doofus

Tad said:
Errr, from what?

You never told us what perl version you had.

If knew you are backing up from 5.8.0, then I'd make a guess at
why you are having the problem, but I don't so I won't.

Oh, go on, do. :)

Yes, it was 5.8.0. I had a perl -v burried deep in the original post
but I guess it was hard to spot. I'm sorry about that.

....'be grateful for any guesses, even though the prob has gone away for
now. I know there was a reason I upgraded to 5.8 and that reason will
return to haunt me.

Thanks,

doofus

Tad McClellan

doofus said:
Oh, go on, do. :)

OK.

5.8.0 is not binary compatible with earlier versions.

Modules with a C component (XS) need to be recompiled for 5.8.0.