    I am *not* looking to pirate, I am just happier with dead trees, and the
    BSI hardcover version was a hell of a lot cheaper than buying it
    directly from ISO or ANSI.

    red floyd, Mar 18, 2014

  2. red floyd

    Öö Tiib Guest

    Any reason why you can not to use working draft N3337 ?
    It is close enough to the real document for all practical purposes I can
    imagine. Downloading it is legal.
    http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2012/n3337.pdf

    Öö Tiib, Mar 18, 2014

  3. red floyd

    red floyd Guest

    Because I *LIKE* books? I don't want a PDF, I want dead trees. I like
    the feel of a hardbound book in my hands.

    red floyd, Mar 19, 2014
  4. Can you not pay somebody to make a book from a combination of that PDF
    and some dead trees for you? You know, print it, bind it...

    Victor Bazarov, Mar 19, 2014
  5. red floyd

    Jorgen Grahn Guest

    Personally I think floyd should buy a herd of cows, prepare their
    hides into vellum, make pens from gooses' feathers and pigments from
    crushed precious stones, to make his own illuminated copy of N3337.

    Although that's not strictly dead trees.

    /Jorgen

    Jorgen Grahn, Mar 19, 2014
  6. red floyd

    David Brown Guest

    Well, there /are/ services that will print and bind pdf's for you - and
    it would probably be a lot cheaper than buying a printed standard from
    ISO. It will also (probably) be cheaper and better quality than
    printing it out yourself, and the binding will be better. It won't be
    as nice as a "real" book, but maybe the OP would prefer it to a plain
    pdf or a non-existent C++11 book.

    Another option, of course, is to get the 4th edition of the C++
    Programming Language which is a fairly complete description of C++11 and
    is a lot more readable than the standards document.

    David Brown, Mar 19, 2014
  7. red floyd

    Stefan Ram Guest

    I once bought the printed ANSI C standard from 1989 and can
    report that this was not a »real« book, but had a rather
    large format (letter legal?) and a quite soft cover.
    The explanation that »::std::distance« in the case of a
    non-random-access iterator will incrementally increment the
    iterator until it has reached the second iterator might not
    be extensive enough in this book. Thus, a reader of that
    book fail to understand a program such as the following.

    #include <ostream>
    #include <iterator>
    int main()
    { using P = ::std::istream_iterator< char >;
    ::std::cout << distance( P{ ::std::cin }, P{} ) << '\n'; }

    Stefan Ram, Mar 19, 2014