Dead Tree version of C++11?

red floyd

I have the dead tree version of C++03/TC1, as published by the British
Standards Institute.

Does anyone know if the C++11 version is available in print? Note that
I am *not* looking to pirate, I am just happier with dead trees, and the
BSI hardcover version was a hell of a lot cheaper than buying it
directly from ISO or ANSI.

Öö Tiib

I have the dead tree version of C++03/TC1, as published by the British
Standards Institute.

Does anyone know if the C++11 version is available in print? Note that
I am *not* looking to pirate, I am just happier with dead trees, and the
BSI hardcover version was a hell of a lot cheaper than buying it
directly from ISO or ANSI.

Any reason why you can not to use working draft N3337 ?
It is close enough to the real document for all practical purposes I can
imagine. Downloading it is legal.
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2012/n3337.pdf

Victor Bazarov

Because I *LIKE* books? I don't want a PDF, I want dead trees. I like
the feel of a hardbound book in my hands.

Can you not pay somebody to make a book from a combination of that PDF
and some dead trees for you? You know, print it, bind it...

Jorgen Grahn

Tough room:
Q: Does anyone know where I can buy a dinner knife?
A: Why a knife? Can't you just bite off chunks?
A: You could take your food to a diner and pay the cook to cut
it for you.

Personally I think floyd should buy a herd of cows, prepare their
hides into vellum, make pens from gooses' feathers and pigments from
crushed precious stones, to make his own illuminated copy of N3337.

Although that's not strictly dead trees.

/Jorgen

David Brown

Tough room:
Q: Does anyone know where I can buy a dinner knife?
A: Why a knife? Can't you just bite off chunks?
A: You could take your food to a diner and pay the cook to cut
it for you.

Well, there /are/ services that will print and bind pdf's for you - and
it would probably be a lot cheaper than buying a printed standard from
ISO. It will also (probably) be cheaper and better quality than
printing it out yourself, and the binding will be better. It won't be
as nice as a "real" book, but maybe the OP would prefer it to a plain
pdf or a non-existent C++11 book.

Another option, of course, is to get the 4th edition of the C++
Programming Language which is a fairly complete description of C++11 and
is a lot more readable than the standards document.

Stefan Ram

David Brown said:
ISO. It will also (probably) be cheaper and better quality than
printing it out yourself, and the binding will be better. It won't be
as nice as a "real" book, but maybe the OP would prefer it to a plain
pdf or a non-existent C++11 book.

I once bought the printed ANSI C standard from 1989 and can
report that this was not a »real« book, but had a rather
large format (letter legal?) and a quite soft cover.
Another option, of course, is to get the 4th edition of the C++
Programming Language which is a fairly complete description of C++11 and
is a lot more readable than the standards document.

The explanation that »::std::distance« in the case of a
non-random-access iterator will incrementally increment the
iterator until it has reached the second iterator might not
be extensive enough in this book. Thus, a reader of that
book fail to understand a program such as the following.

#include <ostream>
#include <iterator>
int main()
{ using P = ::std::istream_iterator< char >;
::std::cout << distance( P{ ::std::cin }, P{} ) << '\n'; }