    b.each {|i| a << i*2}
    puts a

    Todd

    Todd Benson, Mar 20, 2008

  2. You can usually use inject or collect to eliminate the a = [] line.
    For example:

    b = %w[a b c d e]
    a = b.collect {|i| i * 2 }

    Also, I would caution against using the variable i as anything but a
    loop counter.

    Regards,
    Dan

    Daniel Finnie, Mar 20, 2008

  3. Todd Benson

    Todd Benson Guest

    Unless you have a method that doesn't return an array (i.e. something
    other than map/collect). Sometimes you have to build the array inside
    the iterator. I was just wondering if this was common practice.
    For production code, I agree. But, I think even then, I wouldn't use "i".

    Todd

    Todd Benson, Mar 21, 2008
  4. Yes, that's perfectly ok. Often you can also use a variant using
    #inject, like

    irb(main):003:0> b = %w[a b c d e]
    irb(main):004:0> b.inject([]){|ar,el| ar << el*2}
    => ["aa", "bb", "cc", "dd", "ee"]

    But that would be silly in this case since there is #map / #collect.

    Kind regards

    robert

    Robert Klemme, Mar 21, 2008