Defining orbit schemes

Kira Yamato

I'm wondering if it is possible to define the following kind of scheme:

Suppose X is a scheme and G is a subgroup of the endomorphism group of
X. Define for each x in X the orbit of x under G
[x] := { gx : g in G }.
Now define the set of orbits of X under G
Y := { [x] : x in X }.

My question is this: Is there a natural way of giving Y a structure of
scheme using the scheme structure of X?

If this is already a well-studied topic, can someone please point me to
where I may look this up?

Thanks.

Kira Yamato

I'm wondering if it is possible to define the following kind of scheme:

Suppose X is a scheme and G is a subgroup of the endomorphism group of
X. Define for each x in X the orbit of x under G
[x] := { gx : g in G }.
Now define the set of orbits of X under G
Y := { [x] : x in X }.

My question is this: Is there a natural way of giving Y a structure of
scheme using the scheme structure of X?

If this is already a well-studied topic, can someone please point me to
where I may look this up?

Thanks.

Sorry! I notice right away I've posted this on the wrong newsgroup!

Rolf Magnus

Kira said:
I'm wondering if it is possible to define the following kind of scheme:

Suppose X is a scheme and G is a subgroup of the endomorphism group of
X. Define for each x in X the orbit of x under G
[x] := { gx : g in G }.
Now define the set of orbits of X under G
Y := { [x] : x in X }.

My question is this: Is there a natural way of giving Y a structure of
scheme using the scheme structure of X?

If this is already a well-studied topic, can someone please point me to
where I may look this up?

Thanks.

Sorry! I notice right away I've posted this on the wrong newsgroup!

That explains why I had no idea what you were talking about ;-)