Deployment, With or Without VS 2003 Is Different

Chan

I've a tested .asmx (web service using codebehind), would like to
deploy to another server.

Here is what "Deploying XML Web Services" of .NET Framework doc said,

Deploying an XML Web service invloes copying the .asmx file and any
assemblies used by the XML Web serve, but not part of the Microsoft
..NET Framework, to the Web server.

After performing exactly as MS described in the documentation, remote
server returned:

Could not create type "<the namespace name>.<the class to be
invoked>"

My only solution was using VS 2003's copy project (w/ FrontPage access
method). Although it works, the resulting directory structure is much
different from what .NET doc said,
1> codebehind file .asmx.vb is not copied over.
2> no .dll or assemblies were copied or created in \bin.

If I don't wish to do "copy project", I can add this .asmx and its
codebehind into the VS 2003 project, then "build" it. It works but
there is still nothing added into \bin.

<< Questions >>

1> I understand VS 2003 is not required for .NET Framework to work
properly, but why the way it configured is so much different from the
document.

2> Is it the presence of VS 2003, so the copying file method described
by MS didn't work?

<< My working environment >>
Win2000 w/ SP4
..NET Framework 1.1.4322