HELP! web services deployment question

Bob Britton

OK. On my dev server, I have a web application with a web service.

http://myserver/webreports/productionsummaryreportbybatchid.asmx

it works great.

I this little web application/web service is developed isolated and is to be
deployed into our main web application.

i took the assembly from my project
(myserver/webreports/bin/webservices.dll) and copied it over to my main web
applicaiton's bin directory.

i copied the asmx file over to the application directory of my main
application.

when I go to:

http://myserver/mainapplication/productionsummaryreportbybatchid.asmx on the
machine itself (not remotely, but working on the actual server), the page
displays fine. I have one web method in the system. Let's call it MakeReport
(it makes a PDF crystal report).

on this page, if i click on the function, MakeReport, the page shows the
Text input boxes for my paramters and the operation methods (SOAP, HTTP
POST, HTTP GET).

If I fill in values and click the INVOKE button, I get an error (http
500 -page cannot be displayed. internal server error).

here's what's interesting.

the url in the pop up window from clicking on the INVOKE button is this URL:

http://myserver/selfserve/webreport....asmx/DisplayProductionSummaryReportByBatchID

if i put in the browser all but the last part, like this:

http://myserver/selfserve/webreportsrpb/productionsummaryreportbybatchid.asmx

i at least get the page to display in the browser.

but i noticed that the end part causes the error. Also, on my test web app,
I noticed that after putting in paramters then pushing INVOKE returns a
longer URL with Key/Value pairs for all the parameter data where as the
resulting URL after clicking the INVOKE button does not have any paramters
(key value pairs at all).

so basically, the basic ASMX page shows, but the invoke doesn't work (HTTP
500 internal server error).

If I take my test development asmx url, click on the INVOKE button and copy
the URL to a new browser window (with all the key value paramters) but
modify the first part to refer to my main application, it dies as well.
(http 500 internal server error).

Put it more succinctly, in deploying my web service, the test INVOKE is not
working (POST method). In my web config, I enabled HTTP GET and HTTP POST
for both apps.

The one difference is that my test applicaiton is devloped under .net
Framework 1.0, where as the main application configuration is set for 1.1.

I also followed microsoft's KB to turn on HTTP GET and HTTP Post in the
machine.config (or web.config) of my main web applicaiton.

basically, the page is not posting correctly and is displaying an error.
it's driving me nuts.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to check into this?

Bob Britton

well, two things:

For simplicity, I switched the site to .Net Framework 1.0 and it's working.

Someone else told me that the Internal Server Error (500) is a simple
display message from IE 5/6. I learned how to shut that off. now i just have
to reset the site back to 1.1 to get the actual error and see what's going
on.

So, I have it running deployed under 1.0, but i'd like to get 1.1 working.

Thanks for your help guys!

Guest

Again, you didn't answer my question. I don't take time to respond to
questions like this because I'm in need of a chat buddy. I ask specific
questions, and expect a specific answer. Areas that I had problems with, and
found an answer. Is it that difficult? What are they teaching these days
for common sense trouble shooting? Obviously not enough.

Jeff

Dan Rogers

Hi Rob,

Let me try and help.

The easiest way to deploy to a server is to use the Publish feature from
Visual Studio.Net. This does things like prepare the Virtual Directory,
set up the ASP.NET version information, and determine whether the required
parts of the framework are properly configured. Then when that is all set
up, it copies the needed files.

I suspect that since this is a 1.0 application that you wanted to upgrade
to 1.1 that there are some VDIR setting issues. Try creating the service
using Publish under a new Vdir. This will help you determine whether it is
an issue with that particular Vdir, or whether there are some 1.1. setup
issues that need to be resolved on the server.

I hope this helps,

Dan Rogers
Microsoft Corporation

Bob Britton

Thanks Dan. I appreciate your help.

It makes sense what you say. let me try it and i'll follow-up.

Bob.