dereferencing problem

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Bill Cunningham, Apr 12, 2014.

  1. Glen, "some years ago" your Alpha workstation had 16 GB??? Maybe you meant
    16 Meg.

    Charles Richmond, Apr 14, 2014

  2. Especially after I mentioned in this thread the man page example for
    getaddrinfo used memset.

    Bill Cunningham, Apr 14, 2014

  3. Ok maybe I didn't mention the getaddrinfo man page. I thought I did. My
    apologizes.

    Bill Cunningham, Apr 14, 2014
  4. (snip, I wrote)
    Alpha is a 64 bit system, and tended to be used where you needed
    a lot of RAM. I didn't (at the time) know all that much about
    the machine, but that it did have 16GB.

    The machine bought for the project was a four processor Dell (IA32)
    that our project manager tried to buy 16GB for, but could only get 4GB.
    That was about 2000 or 2001 for a time frame.

    A few years earlier, I had an 8MB 80486 machine that I put
    FreeBSD on to use as our network NAT router. At that time,
    people laughed that there was any use for an 8MB machine, but
    it made a fine router. As I remember, I got a new disk for
    the machine, and made a 1GB swap partition. The only time I
    have known to have swap space 128 time actual RAM.

    Somehow the system that either Alpha, or the particular OS/compiler
    implementation, only allowed 64K for static storage. With malloc()
    I could get many GB.

    -- glen

    glen herrmannsfeldt, Apr 14, 2014
  5. Am 13.04.2014 03:25, schrieb Bill Cunningham:
    More than 5 years ago we ere trying you to teach you the aspects of
    ponters but you have learned nothing abount.

    Now the time is comed for you to see that you are always unable to learn
    programming anyway. Give up any try now. It is hopeless for you.

    --
    Tschau/Bye
    Herbert

    Member 53 of Team OS/2 Germany
    FIDONET: 2:2476/493 OS2Net: 81:497/830 MxBBSNet: 256:4960/345

    Visit my Homepages: http://www.sqed.de/
    http://www.pc-rosenau.de/
    http://www.dv-rosenau.de/
    http://pc-rosenau2.profiseller.de

    OS/2 is the more effective way to utilize your computer.

    Herbert Rosenau, May 3, 2014
  6. You know they say "If at first you don't succeed try try again." Don't
    be lilly livered. This might take 20 years. A lifetime. I really don't care.
    I have my goal. I don't know the meaning of the word "hopeless". Don't tell
    me I haven't learned anything. I can't and don't need to demonstrate to you
    that I have. I know I have. I know the world's coming to an end blah blah.
    **** if I gave up now. All would be in vain. I have gave up on kandr2
    though. Just not the right book. Now I don't expect to become a professional
    computer programmer no. That I know I can't do. But I can learn to work with
    a few APIs.

    Bill Cunningaham, May 3, 2014
  7. Don't try to teach. You just lend a hand you'll stress yourself out your
    patience is a nanometer long.

    That's cumed. Not comed.

    Bill Cunningaham, May 3, 2014