dereferencing problem

Charles Richmond

glen herrmannsfeldt said:
[snip...] [snip...]
[snip...]

Also, some systems have unusual restrictions on static storage.
Some years ago in an Alpha/OSF1 system with 16GB RAM, I tried
to allocate and initialize a 100k byte static array.

Glen, "some years ago" your Alpha workstation had 16 GB??? Maybe you meant
16 Meg.

Bill Cunningham

Bill said:
Especially after I mentioned in this thread the man page example for
getaddrinfo used memset.

Ok maybe I didn't mention the getaddrinfo man page. I thought I did. My
apologizes.

glen herrmannsfeldt

(snip, I wrote)
Glen, "some years ago" your Alpha workstation had 16 GB???
Maybe you meant 16 Meg.

Alpha is a 64 bit system, and tended to be used where you needed
a lot of RAM. I didn't (at the time) know all that much about
the machine, but that it did have 16GB.

The machine bought for the project was a four processor Dell (IA32)
that our project manager tried to buy 16GB for, but could only get 4GB.
That was about 2000 or 2001 for a time frame.

A few years earlier, I had an 8MB 80486 machine that I put
FreeBSD on to use as our network NAT router. At that time,
people laughed that there was any use for an 8MB machine, but
it made a fine router. As I remember, I got a new disk for
the machine, and made a 1GB swap partition. The only time I
have known to have swap space 128 time actual RAM.

Somehow the system that either Alpha, or the particular OS/compiler
implementation, only allowed 64K for static storage. With malloc()
I could get many GB.

-- glen

Herbert Rosenau

Am 13.04.2014 03:25, schrieb Bill Cunningham:
Lew said:
But, you never actually populate pa with an address. So all of these
attempts to put data into objects pointed to by pa will result in
errors, because pa *doesn't point at anything*.
[snip]

Ok so how exactly am I going to correct this? Using memset or malloc ? Or
using that ampersand? I understand what's wrong, but I need to know how to
correct it.

More than 5 years ago we ere trying you to teach you the aspects of
ponters but you have learned nothing abount.

Now the time is comed for you to see that you are always unable to learn
programming anyway. Give up any try now. It is hopeless for you.

--
Tschau/Bye
Herbert

Member 53 of Team OS/2 Germany
FIDONET: 2:2476/493 OS2Net: 81:497/830 MxBBSNet: 256:4960/345

Visit my Homepages: http://www.sqed.de/
http://www.pc-rosenau.de/
http://www.dv-rosenau.de/
http://pc-rosenau2.profiseller.de

OS/2 is the more effective way to utilize your computer.

Bill Cunningaham

More than 5 years ago we ere trying you to teach you the aspects of
ponters but you have learned nothing abount.

Now the time is comed for you to see that you are always unable to learn
programming anyway. Give up any try now. It is hopeless for you.

You know they say "If at first you don't succeed try try again." Don't
be lilly livered. This might take 20 years. A lifetime. I really don't care.
I have my goal. I don't know the meaning of the word "hopeless". Don't tell
me I haven't learned anything. I can't and don't need to demonstrate to you
that I have. I know I have. I know the world's coming to an end blah blah.
**** if I gave up now. All would be in vain. I have gave up on kandr2
though. Just not the right book. Now I don't expect to become a professional
computer programmer no. That I know I can't do. But I can learn to work with
a few APIs.

Bill Cunningaham

Don't try to teach. You just lend a hand you'll stress yourself out your
patience is a nanometer long.

That's cumed. Not comed.