Design time support for classes derived from DataGridColumn

Antonio Bakula

How to get design time support for classes derived from DataGridColumn ?

I have created new DataGridColumn type, it uses image from database as
source and renders actual image, not just some link to image somewhere. Now
my column is working pretty good but I can't get design time support in
VS.NET

Is there any defined DataGridColumnDesigner class that I can inherit from ?
Or something like that ?

btw. you can download binaries and source code (Delphi) with some examples
of grid using it (c# VS.NET project) from :

http://baksa.europe.webmatrixhosting.net/

*please* report any problems or bugs ! (remember to remove anti spam
XremoveX if replying to this message)

Teemu Keiski

Hi,

DataGridColumnCollectionEditor editor does exist for DataGridColumn but not
separate designer. DataGrid has public designer class
System.Web.UI.Design.WebControls.DataGridDesigner

--
Teemu Keiski

[...]

Thanks for you answer, I just wont to make sure that I understand you, so
if I wont to make design time support for my custom column I must create
new DataGrid designer ?

If so then I must create also DataGrid descendant that will use this
designer and I can't use ASP.NET DataGrid ?

Teemu Keiski

Hi,

no, not really. I just bit revised your terms. :)

Certainly you can create a custom editor for your column (using Editor
attribute to assign the editor to a property), but you would need to inherit
from DataGrid to be able to assign this editor to the control (if you want
to edit DataGridColumnCollection). But if you edit just the column, then you
don't need the inheritance, but there's the catch that how do you intend to
use the editor? Does it have designer verbs (command below the property
browser that initiate editors etc. I mean that with DataGrid for example it
does so complicated task that it has separate editor for component as a
whole and the Columns have collection editor.

--
Teemu Keiski