Designing Plug-in Systems in Python

mystilleef

Hello,

I need to design a plug-in system for a project. The goal is
to allow third party developers interact with an application
via plug-ins in a clean and robust manner. At this point I
am overwhelmed by my inexperience with designing plug-in
systems.

Are there any good tutorials on how to design good plug-in
systems with Python, or any language? What are the best
practices for designing plug-in systems in Python? How would
you go about designing one? What are common pitfalls in
designing one? Any pointers, suggestions, resources and
advice is welcome.

Thanks

Jorge Godoy

mystilleef said:
Are there any good tutorials on how to design good plug-in
systems with Python, or any language? What are the best
practices for designing plug-in systems in Python? How would
you go about designing one? What are common pitfalls in
designing one? Any pointers, suggestions, resources and
advice is welcome.

I am liking to use setuptools and its entry points. With this, your program
can check for a specific thing and load all modules that provides something
like "myapp.plugins".

Take a look at it.

--
Jorge Godoy <[email protected]>

- Qualquer coisa dita em latim soa profundo.
- Anything said in Latin sounds smart.