Teaching python to non-programmers

Lalitha Prasad K

Dear List

Recently I was requested to teach python to a group of students of GIS
(Geographic Information Systems). Their knowledge of programming is zero.
The objective is to enable them to write plug-ins for GIS software like
QGIS and ArcGIS. It would require them to learn, besides core python, PyQt,
QtDesigner. So my plan is to teach them core python, PyQt, Qt Designer, in
that order. A kind of "bottom up approach". But the students seem to feel
that I should use "top down approach". That is, show them how to write a
plug-in, then PyQt and Qt Designer and then enough of python so they can
handle the above. I don't think, that is possible or a good idea. But I
would like to know, if there are any other approaches.

Thanks and Regards
Lalitha Prasad,

pete.bee.emm

Don't underestimate the value of morale. Python is a scripting language. You don't need to teach them very much python to get something working, and you can always revisit the initial code and refactor it for better coding hygiene.

Someday they might have jobs, and be required to learn things in more of a top down order. ;)

Rustom Mody

Dear List

Recently I was requested to teach python to a group of students of GIS (Geographic Information Systems). Their knowledge of programming is zero. Theobjective is to enable them to write plug-ins for GIS software like QGIS and ArcGIS. It would require them to learn, besides core python, PyQt, QtDesigner. So my plan is to teach them core python, PyQt, Qt Designer, in that order. A kind of "bottom up approach". But the students seem to feel that Ishould use "top down approach". That is, show them how to write a plug-in,then PyQt and Qt Designer and then enough of python so they can handle theabove. I don't think, that is possible or a good idea. But I would like toknow, if there are any other approaches.

Thanks and Regards

Theres a Mulla Nassr Eddin story:
Villagers A and B had a dispute. They went to Mulla.
A gave his harangue for a while...
Mulla: You are right!
The B came and gave his story
Mulla (to B) You are right
Mulla's wife (scratching her head): But Mulla?! Both cant be right?!?!
Mulla: You are right.

When you are a teacher you have to learn to say "Yes Yes!" to all sorts of
demands -- from curriculum, boards, colleagues, and of course students

And then keep on doing what you know is right!

I have some writings on the stupidities of CS edu establishment
http://blog.languager.org/2011/02/cs-education-is-fat-and-weak-1.html
and following

Mark Lawrence

Don't underestimate the value of morale. Python is a scripting language. You don't need to teach them very much python to get something working, and you can always revisit the initial code and refactor it for better coding hygiene.

Someday they might have jobs, and be required to learn things in more of a top down order. ;)

Just awesome, not only do we have double line spacing and single line
paragraphs, we've also got top posting, oh boy am I a happy bunny :)
I'll leave someone3 else to explain, I just can't be bothered.

pete.bee.emm

Just awesome, not only do we have double line spacing and single line

paragraphs, we've also got top posting, oh boy am I a happy bunny :)

I'll leave someone3 else to explain, I just can't be bothered.

Do you get paid to be a jerk, or is it just for yuks? If the latter, you're not funny.

Mark H Harris

Do you get paid to be a jerk, or is it just for yuks? If the latter, you're not funny.

Mark is the c.l.python resident margin police. Think of him as a welcome
committee with an attitude.

:)

Mark H Harris

Dear List

Recently I was requested to teach python to a group of students of GIS
(Geographic Information Systems).

Adults? ... what age ranges?
Their knowledge of programming is
zero. The objective is to enable them to write plug-ins for GIS software
like QGIS and ArcGIS.

Its a fabulous idea. Integrating disciplines is the correct approach
to computer science education in my opinion.
From day one (and yes I was there on day one) computer science knows
nothing about the insurance industry, and underwriters know nothing
about programming. The way to get these two groups together is to
integrate comp sci education with underwriting.
It would require them to learn, besides core
python, PyQt, QtDesigner. So my plan is to teach them core python, PyQt,
Qt Designer, in that order. A kind of "bottom up approach".
Beautiful.

But the
students seem to feel that I should use "top down approach". That is,
show them how to write a plug-in, then PyQt and Qt Designer and then
enough of python so they can handle the above.

The phrase "just enough python" is almost possible. I am working on
a project I call SimplyPy that has this same goal in mind; but I'm not
finished yet. But the idea is to boil the galaxy of python down to a
small solar system with a couple of planets. If these cats are in their
early twenties, no problem. If they really are "non programmers" it will
be easier because they come to the table teachable. I would rather have
twenty students "tabula rosa" than having one student who thinks they
already know everything.

marcus

Bob Martin

in 720726 20140411 134419 Tim Chase said:
The only time I've seen top-posting required (though there was
nothing about trimming/dropping the content from the bottom) was on
some lists for blind users where they wanted the new content at the
top of the email rather than having to wade through lots of content
they'd heard previously. The actual context was usually either given
by in-sentence referencing to the topic, or the subject-heading
(blind folks seem to have an incredible memory for things sighted
folks are usually too lazy to remember).

I read IBM's internal forums from 1978 on (on VM/CMS).
Top posting was the norm where quoted text was included, though
quoting wasn't necessary as there was a means to display the post
being answered.