Detailsview with objectdatasource

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Paul S, Apr 1, 2010.

  1. Paul S

    Paul S Guest

    I'm using a detailsview with an objectdatasource. When I click Update to
    save my edited record ItemUpdating gets called but e.NewValues.Count = 0.

    What am I doing wrong?

    The design is a dropdown ddlEvent where a date is selected. With taht as a
    key the event to be edited is selected in the DetailsView

    if (!this.IsPostBack)
    {
    try
    {
    MatchCollection matches = new MatchCollection();
    matches.FillWithEventsAfter(new DateTime(2009, 1, 1), 10);

    this.ddlEvent.DataValueField = "MatchId";
    this.ddlEvent.DataTextField = "DateOfEvent";
    this.ddlEvent.DataSource = matches;
    this.ddlEvent.DataBind();

    this.BindDetailsView();

    }
    catch (Exception ex)
    {
    Response.Write(ex.ToString());

    /// <summary>
    /// New date has been selected so refresh view
    /// </summary>
    /// <param name="sender"></param>
    /// <param name="e"></param>
    protected void ddlEvent_SelectedIndexChanged(object sender,
    EventArgs e)
    {
    //Response.Write(this.ddlEvent.SelectedValue.ToString());
    this.BindDetailsView();
    }

    private void BindDetailsView()
    {
    MatchCollection matches = new MatchCollection();
    matches.Fill(int.Parse(this.ddlEvent.SelectedValue));

    this.dvEvent.DataSource = matches;
    this.dvEvent.DataBind();
    this.dvEvent.DefaultMode = DetailsViewMode.ReadOnly;
    }

    protected void dvEvent_ModeChanged(object sender, EventArgs e)

    protected void dvEvent_ModeChanging(object sender,
    DetailsViewModeEventArgs e)
    {
    this.dvEvent.ChangeMode(e.NewMode);
    this.BindDetailsView();
    }

    protected void dvEvent_ItemCommand(object sender,
    DetailsViewCommandEventArgs e)
    {
    if (e.CommandName.Equals("edit",
    StringComparison.InvariantCultureIgnoreCase))
    if (e.CommandName.Equals("Cancel",
    StringComparison.InvariantCultureIgnoreCase))
    {
    ;
    }
    if (e.CommandName.Equals("New",
    StringComparison.InvariantCultureIgnoreCase))
    ;

    if (e.CommandName.Equals("update",
    StringComparison.InvariantCultureIgnoreCase))
    {
    this.dvEvent.UpdateItem(true);

    protected void dvEvent_ItemUpdating(object sender,
    DetailsViewUpdateEventArgs e)
    {
    MatchCollection matches = new MatchCollection();
    matches.Fill(int.Parse(this.ddlEvent.SelectedValue));
    if (matches.Count < 1)
    return;

    MatchInfo mi = matches[0];
    mi.Description = e.NewValues["Description"].ToString();
    mi.CourseId = (int)e.NewValues["CourseId"];
    // etc
    try
    {
    matches.Update();
    this.dvEvent.ChangeMode(DetailsViewMode.ReadOnly);
    }
    catch (Exception)
    // error handling
    }

    Thanks
    Paul S

    Paul S, Apr 1, 2010

  2. Paul S

    Steven Cheng Guest

    Hi Paul,

    From your description, the DetailsView.ItemUpdating event doesn't contain
    the proper values(in the NewValues collection) when performing updating,
    correct?

    I'm wondering whether it is a datasource or control specific issue. Have
    you tried directly using a SqlDataSource control for the DetailsView
    connection or directly connect the DetailsView to datasource control
    without filtering from the dropdownlist to see whether it makes any
    difference?

    I've tried a simple SqlDataSource case with the ItemUpdating event below
    which shows all the parameters in both OldValues and NewValues collection:
    protected void DetailsView2_ItemUpdating(object sender,
    DetailsViewUpdateEventArgs e)
    {
    Response.Write("<br/>Old values:");
    foreach (var oldp in e.OldValues.Keys)
    {
    Response.Write("<br/>" + oldp);
    }

    Response.Write("<br/>New values:");
    foreach (var newp in e.NewValues.Keys)
    {
    Response.Write("<br/>" + newp);
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    --------------------

    Steven Cheng, Jun 23, 2010

  3. Paul S

    Paul S Guest

    Hi Steven
    I haven't tried the SqlDataSource but I'll do that

    Thanks
    Paul S

    Paul S, Jun 25, 2010
  4. Paul S

    Steven Cheng Guest

    Thanks for your reply Paul,

    Yes, by checking different controls can help verify whether the problem is
    specific to the objectdatasource or the data access class it uses
    internally.

    Steven Cheng, Jun 28, 2010