Detecting Java

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?brucie?=

http://usenet.alt-html.org/screencap03.png [1.4k] opera 7.2
On it, I have a test to see if someone has Sun's Java 1.4.0 or higher,

it doesn't work, your script allows microsoft VM
and if not, to re-route them to the Sun download site.

chances are great they'll just hit their back button and go to the
next site that works without them having to waste their time
downloading a plugin especially without any indication of what your
site is about or what it may contain.

Richard

Ike said:
On it, I have a test to see if someone has Sun's Java 1.4.0 or higher,
and
if not, to re-route them to the Sun download site. I just am wondering
if it
works with various browsers out there and various Java configurations.
Would anyone be kind of enough to hit it and provide me their
feedback?
Thank you, Ike

After taking forever to load, all I got was a grey background and nothing
else.
IE6. With java on.

rf

Ike said:
Would anyone mind hitting
http://www.technalink.com/vdist/eaton/hydroline/hydroline1.html

On it, I have a test to see if someone has Sun's Java 1.4.0 or higher, and
if not, to re-route them to the Sun download site. I just am wondering if it
works with various browsers out there and various Java configurations.

Yep. It gives me an almost blank page with a link to suns site but this is,
in fact, wrong. I have java installed but I have disabled because I don't
like it.
Would anyone be kind of enough to hit it and provide me their feedback?
Thank you, Ike

What is the site about? It doesn't tell me. Oh well, back to google to find
the next site in the search results :)

Cheers
Richard.

Mark Parnell

rf said:
What is the site about? It doesn't tell me. Oh well, back to google
to find the next site in the search results :)

Somehow I doubt you would have found it in Google in the first place, unless
you were searching for "If this message appears in the page, Java is
DISABLED", since I doubt Googlebot has Java.

rf

Mark Parnell said:
Somehow I doubt you would have found it in Google in the first place, unless
you were searching for "If this message appears in the page, Java is
DISABLED", since I doubt Googlebot has Java.

Hmm. Very Good Point :)

Cheers
Richard.

SteW

Ike said:
Would anyone mind hitting
http://www.technalink.com/vdist/eaton/hydroline/hydroline1.html

On it, I have a test to see if someone has Sun's Java 1.4.0 or higher, and
if not, to re-route them to the Sun download site. I just am wondering if it
works with various browsers out there and various Java configurations.

Would anyone be kind of enough to hit it and provide me their feedback?
Thank you, Ike
I like java but not this way:
no clue what I am getting
no idea of size / download time
5 mins download - I am normally gone in 30 seconds and I am very patient
3rd party classes that mention activation and mail
security certs not valid / untrusted
interface that pops up panels - horrible! I know where my mouse is pointing
panels don't keep up with my mouse anyway