[dialog] failures when instantiating

Frank

I've had some rather exotic failures today.

dan@dan-desktop:/media/Lexar/nov29/40tude Dialog$ ls
4dmf.dll dicts maps toolbarA.ini unins000.dat
acrocust.dat donate.url readme.txt toolbarC.ini unins000.exe
acro.dat h.dat register.url toolbarH.ini zipdll.dll
data license.txt Scripts toolbar.ini
dialog.chm locale settings.ini toolbarNG.ini
dialog.exe logs temp tooldock.ini
dan@dan-desktop:/media/Lexar/nov29/40tude Dialog$ wine dialog.exe
mmap() failed: Cannot allocate memory
mmap() failed: Cannot allocate memory
mmap() failed: Cannot allocate memory
mmap() failed: Cannot allocate memory
mmap() failed: Cannot allocate memory
mmap() failed: Cannot allocate memory
mmap() failed: Cannot allocate memory
mmap() failed: Cannot allocate memory
mmap() failed: Cannot allocate memory
mmap() failed: Cannot allocate memory
mmap() failed: Cannot allocate memory
mmap() failed: Cannot allocate memory
mmap() failed: Cannot allocate memory
mmap() failed: Cannot allocate memory
mmap() failed: Cannot allocate memory
mmap() failed: Cannot allocate memory
mmap() failed: Cannot allocate memory
mmap() failed: Cannot allocate memory
err:progress:progressWindowProc unknown msg 2005 wp=0001 lp=00000000
fixme:win:LockWindowUpdate (0x10034), partial stub!
fixme:win:LockWindowUpdate ((nil)), partial stub!
fixme:win:UpdateLayeredWindow
(0x1010a,0xf53c,0x32e71c,0x32e714,0xe474,0x32e724,0x00000000,0x32e710,2):
stub!
fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 95
(SPI_GETSNAPTODEFBUTTON)

Dialog fires up, but it doesn't close properly and fights me constantly.

Are these things that can be fixed with looking at the source and a
knowledge of C?

Nick Keighley

I've had some rather exotic failures today.

mmap() failed: Cannot allocate memory

err:progress:progressWindowProc unknown msg 2005 wp=0001 lp=00000000

Are these things that can be fixed with looking at the source and a
knowledge of C?

you'd need to know something about the system you're running this on.
Try an OS specific news group (Windows or Linux or whatever).

chuckcar

[...]

Yes and no. Try shutting a few other programs. If you have *nothing* at
all running, I'd say you have a problem with memory failure. Assuming of
course that your install hasn't become corrupted.

chuckcar

[...]

Another thought comes to mind: how big is your swap partition and is it
enabled?

Frank

Another thought comes to mind: how big is your swap partition and is it
enabled?

Thanks for your help, Chuck. I inquired at ubuntu forums how I might
determine this, because I think you were on to something there. The
unfortunate case is that my linuses all have decided not to boot, so I
can't even inform a person who is kind enough to make my problems his
problems.

I have less than a week before I leave to spend Christmas with my family
and friends, so my conquest of open-source development will have to wait
until I install it a fourth time in January. Next time I will *not*
upgrade to ubuntu 9.10. It's been so fun to have so many computing tools
at my fingertips, as one does on linux.

Let it snow.

Patrick Phillips

Frank said:
Thanks for your help, Chuck.  I inquired at ubuntu forums how I might
determine this, because I think you were on to something there.  The
unfortunate case is that my linuses all have decided not to boot, so I
can't even inform a person who is kind enough to make my problems his
problems.

I have less than a week before I leave to spend Christmas with my family
and friends, so my conquest of open-source development will have to wait
until I install it a fourth time in January.  Next time I will not
upgrade to ubuntu 9.10.  It's been so fun to have so many computing tools
at my fingertips, as one does on linux.

Let it snow.

Your trying to run 40tude Dialog a windows app under Wine on Ubuntu Linux I
think?, so a Wine newsgroup and Debian or Ubuntu Subject might be a place
to start asking about that error, but it looks like you need to allow more
memory for Dialog in Wine if that is possible?

chuckcar

Thanks for your help, Chuck. I inquired at ubuntu forums how I might
determine this, because I think you were on to something there. The
unfortunate case is that my linuses all have decided not to boot, so I
can't even inform a person who is kind enough to make my problems his
problems.

I have less than a week before I leave to spend Christmas with my
family and friends, so my conquest of open-source development will
have to wait until I install it a fourth time in January. Next time I
will *not* upgrade to ubuntu 9.10. It's been so fun to have so many
computing tools at my fingertips, as one does on linux.

Well running linux without knowing how to fix it, run it in single user
mode or whether you or not you are using a swap partition is expecting a
bit much perhaps.
Let it snow.

Bite your tongue - we just got our first 6" yesterday! <g>

Frank

Your trying to run 40tude Dialog a windows app under Wine on Ubuntu Linux I
think?, so a Wine newsgroup and Debian or Ubuntu Subject might be a place
to start asking about that error, but it looks like you need to allow more
memory for Dialog in Wine if that is possible?

Is there a wine newsgroup?

Frank

Well running linux without knowing how to fix it, run it in single user
mode or whether you or not you are using a swap partition is expecting a
bit much perhaps.

I've got the 9.04 install disc. I'll run that and pull out my source.

Then it's soddom and gomorrah. Well, maybe a little in reverse as it mixes
the bits of unwanted porn.
Bite your tongue - we just got our first 6" yesterday! <g>

I'm gonna be driving along the continental divide in a subaru outback.
Woo-hoo. Santa can eat my dust.

chuckcar

I've got the 9.04 install disc. I'll run that and pull out my source.

Then it's soddom and gomorrah. Well, maybe a little in reverse as it
mixes the bits of unwanted porn.

I'm gonna be driving along the continental divide in a subaru outback.
Woo-hoo. Santa can eat my dust.

Take a look at my other post in this thread. There may be ways I can't
recall right now to find out how the disc is partitions (Microsoft world
can't see linux partitions) that involve /proc.