difference between the real characters and the codes

windandwaves

Hi Gurus

What are the differences between using Unicode characters and using the Unicode codes (e.g. between ???????????????? and
#26085;本語)?

Cheerz

- Nicolaas

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html said:

Gurus isn't in today, sorry. Can I help?
What are the differences between using Unicode characters and using
the Unicode codes (e.g. between ???????????????? and

They're easier to read in the source code, but you'll need to use the
right character encoding (e.g. UTF-8), and an editor that supports it,
otherwise they turn out as question marks (as above) or sometimes empty
squares. :)
#26085;本語)?

More difficult to read in the source, and harder to remember, but can be
used with more limited character sets, e.g. ISO-8859-1.

BTW: Please adjust your newsr^H^H^H^H^H OE to wrap lines at a decent
length, e.g. 78 chars. Thanks.

windandwaves

BTW: Please adjust your newsr^H^H^H^H^H OE to wrap lines at a decent
length, e.g. 78 chars. Thanks.

I had it at 76, sorry, people have asked me that before. I used outlook express and I am not sure if I am doing it right. Let me
know if this is better. Cheers Nicolaas

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html said:
I had it at 76, sorry, people have asked me that before. I used outlook express and I am not sure if I am doing it right. Let me
know if this is better. Cheers Nicolaas

No. I fixed it last time I replied to you - this time I haven't touched
it. See how long your first line is up ^ there? It's about 125
characters (ish - only counted roughly). That's far too long.

To be honest, I'd recommend you get a real newsreader. If that's not an
option, check out http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/ -
not sure offhand whether it will help with your line length problem (I
have a feeling it will), but will make life easier for you in other ways
anyway.