different behavior on different machines, same JRE/IE

Johnny Ruin

Hi,
I have two machines running windows 2000, IE 6, and JRE 1.4.2_11. One
loads and displays my applet just fine. The other one has problems
refreshing or redrawing. For example, when I open a dialog on the
applet the controls on the dialog won't draw until I resize the dialog
window. But on the other machine all is fine. Does this behavior
make sense to anyone? Any suggestions on tests I might try?

tom fredriksen

Johnny said:
Hi,
I have two machines running windows 2000, IE 6, and JRE 1.4.2_11. One
loads and displays my applet just fine. The other one has problems
refreshing or redrawing. For example, when I open a dialog on the
applet the controls on the dialog won't draw until I resize the dialog
window. But on the other machine all is fine. Does this behavior
make sense to anyone? Any suggestions on tests I might try?

It can be a combination of many things, mostly to do with the os or the
browser. thats where you need to look, some sort of difference it
their setups.

/tom

Vova Reznik

Johnny said:
Hi,
I have two machines running windows 2000, IE 6, and JRE 1.4.2_11. One
loads and displays my applet just fine. The other one has problems
refreshing or redrawing. For example, when I open a dialog on the
applet the controls on the dialog won't draw until I resize the dialog
window. But on the other machine all is fine. Does this behavior
make sense to anyone? Any suggestions on tests I might try?

I may be DirectX problem.
Try "dxdiag".

Timo Stamm

Johnny said:
Hi,
I have two machines running windows 2000, IE 6, and JRE 1.4.2_11. One
loads and displays my applet just fine. The other one has problems
refreshing or redrawing. For example, when I open a dialog on the
applet the controls on the dialog won't draw until I resize the dialog
window. But on the other machine all is fine. Does this behavior
make sense to anyone? Any suggestions on tests I might try?

In most cases I heard of something like this, it was a graphics card
driver that was not up to date.

Johnny Ruin

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your excellent suggestions. I'm working now, although
the way I got there was rather unsatisfying. Here's my story.

I ran Windows Update and it said there was a update for my
'ALL-IN-WONDER 9600 SERIES - Secondary'. I took it, rebooted only to
get a bunch of Hardware Wizard things on reboot. I ended up selecting
'reinstall driver' for a bunch of stuff (ati audio, ati codecs).
Reboot and tested my applet - same problem.

Then I download DirectX9 and ran dxdiag - no problems reported.
Applet still had the same problem.

Next I changed my video mode from 1280x1024, 32bit color with fonts
scaled to 150% to 1024x768 using 16-bit color and large fonts. The
applet worked. "Ah-hah", I thought. I'll just change those things
back one by one and find the problem. I changed each one
individually, testing in-between. The problem never returned.

So, in the end I don't really know what the problem was. But I'm glad
to be working. Thank you.

timjowers

I think I saw this before and posted under the topic "FileDialog does
not draw itself" but looks like I left the fix out. It was a startup
flag to tell java not to use 3d graphics or graphics optimization or
something like that.

Cheers,
TimJowers