Dinkumware / Comeau / DMC??

Bob Hairgrove

Hi,

The Digital Mars compiler is not listed on the Dinkumware library's
compatibility list on their web site. I would like to use the
Dinkumware STL (source code license) together with the Comeau compiler
and some back end other than M$ (for now, that's either DMC or the
Borland command-line compiler for now) on Windows 2000/XP.

Borland support is listed as "buggy", so maybe it would be better to
go with DMC ... Does anybody know if this will work, or if there are
plans by Dinkumware to officially support DMC as a back end in the
foreseeable future (i.e. next 6 months or so)?

What are the Borland issues?

Thanks.

White Wolf

Bob said:
Hi,

The Digital Mars compiler is not listed on the Dinkumware library's
compatibility list on their web site. I would like to use the
Dinkumware STL (source code license) together with the Comeau compiler
and some back end other than M$ (for now, that's either DMC or the
Borland command-line compiler for now) on Windows 2000/XP.

Borland support is listed as "buggy", so maybe it would be better to
go with DMC ... Does anybody know if this will work, or if there are
plans by Dinkumware to officially support DMC as a back end in the
foreseeable future (i.e. next 6 months or so)?

What are the Borland issues?

Thanks.

I may be absolutely out of the picture here, but isn't this something you
need to ask from Dinkumware? Or if you plan to use Comeau then their
sales/support?

Bob Hairgrove

I may be absolutely out of the picture here, but isn't this something you
need to ask from Dinkumware? Or if you plan to use Comeau then their
sales/support?

Yes, but I thought someone might just "know".
Accomplishing the impossible means only the boss will add it to your
regular duties.

I like that ...

White Wolf

Bob said:
Yes, but I thought someone might just "know".

Greh drops in here, and also Dinkumware guys time to time (I think Pete
Becker does) but I believe that you get a faster answer by contacting them.
They are not huge and unfriendly corporations.
I like that ...

Automagic random signatures by Outlook-Express Quitefix, a great program.
And I have collected some quoted. The only somewhat offending one just got
into this post. I kept it because I think it is funny.

Greg Comeau

The Digital Mars compiler is not listed on the Dinkumware library's
compatibility list on their web site. I would like to use the
Dinkumware STL (source code license) together with the Comeau compiler
and some back end other than M$ (for now, that's either DMC or the
Borland command-line compiler for now) on Windows 2000/XP.

Borland support is listed as "buggy", so maybe it would be better to
go with DMC ... Does anybody know if this will work, or if there are
plans by Dinkumware to officially support DMC as a back end in the
foreseeable future (i.e. next 6 months or so)?

To the best of my knowledge, although we (Comeau C++) supports
dmc as a windows backend, Dinkumware does not support that combo
of Comeau C++ on Windows.
What are the Borland issues?

Nested exception handling has a problem for some reason.
If you don't do that, then I believe you should be ok
with that combo.

Feel free to email us and/or Dinkumware.

P.J. Plauger

To the best of my knowledge, although we (Comeau C++) supports
dmc as a windows backend, Dinkumware does not support that combo
of Comeau C++ on Windows.

Too many bugs in DMC, even when just used as a back end. We
couldn't get to first base with it as a front end.
Nested exception handling has a problem for some reason.
If you don't do that, then I believe you should be ok
with that combo.

The compiler converts long double literals only to double
precision. That was the main problem, IIRC.
Feel free to email us and/or Dinkumware.

Indeed.

P.J. Plauger
Dinkumware, Ltd.
http://www.dinkumware.com

Bob Hairgrove

[snip]
(GC:) Nested exception handling has a problem for some reason.
If you don't do that, then I believe you should be ok
with that combo.

Hmmm ... does the problem with nested exceptions affect re-throwing
the same exception in the outer catch block, or throwing a different
type of exception in the outer block, or both?
(PJP:) The compiler converts long double literals only to double
precision. That was the main problem, IIRC.

I never needed to use long doubles before, so I could certainly live
with that until I find a better back end, as long as it doesn't affect
building the STL from source.

As long as I have your ear (or eye <g>)... with the Dinkumware source
code license, can I use it on Linux with gcc as well? Presumably there
are some OS-dependent compatibility headers which would be different.
To re-word my question: is the same source license good for multiple
platforms?
(PJP:) Indeed.

You will be hearing from me shortly. Thank you for taking the time to
reply.

P.J. Plauger

[snip]
(RH:) What are the Borland issues?

(GC:) Nested exception handling has a problem for some reason.
If you don't do that, then I believe you should be ok
with that combo.

Hmmm ... does the problem with nested exceptions affect re-throwing
the same exception in the outer catch block, or throwing a different
type of exception in the outer block, or both?

Whatever this failure is, it doesn't seem to affect the basic workings
of the Standard C++ library, so it's not a problem for us.
I never needed to use long doubles before, so I could certainly live
with that until I find a better back end, as long as it doesn't affect
building the STL from source.

Just the stuff that traffics in long double.
As long as I have your ear (or eye <g>)... with the Dinkumware source
code license, can I use it on Linux with gcc as well? Presumably there
are some OS-dependent compatibility headers which would be different.
To re-word my question: is the same source license good for multiple
platforms?

Basically, yes. We offer two packages, one for all the variations of
Microsoft VC++ (V6, V7.0, V7.1, eVC3, eVC4) and one for everything
else. We've #ifdef'd our headers for quite a number of compilers,
including gcc on Linux and a couple of other systems. See the list
at our web site. If you want to move the source to a platform we
haven't tested, you'll have some work to do. But the code is obviously
pretty portable.

BTW, if you want to *use* the library on multiple platforms, we ask
you to purchase the appropriate number of licenses. We ask no
additional royalty for the distribution of executables linked with
our libraries, so developer licensing is our sole source of income.
We'd like that income to be proportional to its usefulness.
You will be hearing from me shortly. Thank you for taking the time to
reply.

Welcome.

P.J. Plauger
Dinkumware, Ltd.