Disconected Recordset & Random Selection

Andie

Hello All,

How would I go about using a disconnect recordset and select (x) records
from it, x being the number of records to be selected.

Many thanks in advance.

Andie

Basically within my database, I have a table called products, and I was told
about using a client side or "disconnected recordset" to display records on
the asp page I am using, I currently use an array to store all the product
information to be displayed, and then randomly display 6 products on the
screen.

How would I used a client side recordset to display 6 different records each
time?

Soeey but you will have to bear with me as I am only just getting to grips
with ASP programming..

Many thanks in advance.

Tim Williams

You don't need a disconnected recordset just to display records - they are
only really useful if you want to persist the data between calls/pages.

Selecting "random" records from a database is not so straightforward: try
this or a variant of it -
http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2132

Exactly how you do it may depend on how many records you have in your DB
table...
A search on Google for "asp random records" should get you some ideas.

tim

Bob Barrows

Depending on your backend database, it will almost always be more efficient
to do this via your original query (see Tim's link).

I do not believe that using a disconnected recordset will help here. For one
thing, you cannot add a field to a recordset that has been opened on a data
source, disconnected or otherwise.

Since I don't know what your database is, let me show a variation of the
alternate technique shown in Tim's link that may be more efficient (untested
air code):

dim cn, rs, strSQL,ar, arSelected(5), rCount, CurrRR, SelectedCount, i,j
'open a recordset using the default firehose cursor
strSQL = "Select idProduct FROM products"
set rs=cn.execute(strSQL,,&H0001)
ar=rs.getrows
rs.close
rCount = ubound(ar,2)
SelectedCount = 0
do until SelectedCount = 6
randomize
CurrRR = cLng(rnd*rCount+0.5)
if not AlreadySelected(arSelected, CurrRR) then
arSelected(SelectedCount) = CurrRR
SelectedCount = SelectedCount + 1
end if
loop

strSQL="Select idProduct, description, descriptionLong " & _
"listPrice, price, smallImageUrl, stock, fileName, noShipCharge " & _
"FROM products WHERE idProduct IN ("
for i = 0 to 5
if i = 0 then
strSQL = strSQL & ar(0,i)
else
strSQL = strSQL & "," & ar(0,i)
end if
next
strSQL = strSQL & ")"
response.write strSQL 'for debugging only
set rs=cn.execute(strSQL,,&H0001)
ar=rs.getrows
rs.close
set rs=nothing
cn.close
set cn=nothing

response.write "<table>"
for i = 0 to 5
response.write "<tr>"
for j = 0 to ubound(ar,1)
response.write "<td>"
response.write ar(j, i)
response.write "</td>"
next
response.write "</tr>"
next
response.write "</table>"

Function AlreadySelected(pAr, pSelected)
dim i
AlreadySelected = false
for i = 0 to ubound(pAr)
if len(pAr(i)) = 0 then