Display different when calling from localhost(internally) and externally

Shawn T

I have an application with a page that has a web user control

When I call that page that has this user control, locally (http://
localhost/ApplicationX/default.aspx) and also externally ie (http://
<webserver>/ApplicationX/default.aspx), the display is all different.

For example, a text box shows with border on one and textbox shows as
label in the other. I am suspecting that it might be CSS issue. I
checked the CSS file and everything looks the same.

I am wondering why the same webpage shows up differently on the local
web server machine and on the external browser.

Any ideas?

Thanks in Advance

Ray Costanzo

You're probably right about its being a CSS issue, or moreso, a relative
path that's not right. Are your CSS references relative? (<link
rel="stylesheet" href="../somefile.css" />) Absolute from the root? (<link
rel="stylesheet" href="/somefile.css" />) Fully qualified? (<link
rel="stylesheet" href="http://someserver/file.css" />)

Perhaps your local DNS prevents you from resolving the WWW address or
something along those lines. Try loading each CSS file directly in the
browser and see if you get the results you'd expect.

Ray at work

Shawn T

Ray,
Thanks for answering.

Here are my test results(I didnt look into CSS):

I found that the text box shows a border when calling the page
externally and no border to the textbox calling on localhost.

So I test a simple HTML page with a input type textbox and "border-
style:None". Surprisingly, both the browsers are IE 7 (version being
the same) but one shows the border and the other one doesn't show.

Do you know how to fix this issue?
(I found setting something like border-right=0px, border-
left=0px..etc, but I would like to know why its behaving this way and
how to fix this in ASP.NET?)

Thanks once again

Ray Costanzo

Hi Shawn,

When you view-source in your browser, do you have any text above the
<!DOCTYPE...> declaration when the page is loaded locally? Like, perhaps
you have some values response.written out when you access things locally or
something. That would cause this in IE7. What doctype declaration appears
at the top of each page? Is it different between the two? Or the pages in
question being served by the same exact server and IIS site?

Ray at work