Display in another window and retrieving value

Poping the window up is not a problem, however, a modal
window is impossible(at least I don't think it is
possible without an ActiveX control or client side
application.)

Depending on what you are using to display the
information:

DataGrid:
<asp:TemplateColumn>
<ItemTemplate>

<input type="button" value="Select This User"
onclick="window.open('Default.aspx?UserID=<%#
DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem, "UserID") %>',
null, 'toolbar=no, menubar=no, scrollbars=no, top=0,
left=0, height=300 width=600');">

</ItemTemplate>
</asp:TemplateColumn>

The Redirected Page
In the page load event:

Dim UserID As String
UserID = Request("UserID")

If UserID = Nothing Then

Page.FindControl("FormName").Controls.Add(New
LiteralControl("<SCRIPT>alert('There was no information
about the user.\n\nThis window will now
close.');self.close();</SCRIPT>"))

Exit Sub
End If

'===============================
'== Your Processing Code Here ==
'===============================

If you want the user to make a selection to the pop up I
would suggest redirecting to the page where the changes
need to take effect and then redirecting back to the host
page. There are several ways that you can track the user.
If you need help with this let me know.

Datagrid Redirect To Different Page

<asp:TemplateColumn>

<ItemTemplate>

<input type="button"
value="Select This User" onclick="self.location
= 'Default.aspx?UserID=<%# DataBinder.Eval
(Container.DataItem, "UserID") %>';">

</ItemTemplate>

</asp:TemplateColumn>

The Redirected Page
In the page load event:

Dim UserID As String
UserID = Request("UserID")

If UserID = Nothing Then

Page.FindControl("FormName").Controls.Add(New
LiteralControl("<SCRIPT>alert('There was no information
about the user.\n\nThis window will now
close.');self.close();</SCRIPT>"))

Exit Sub

End If