Display problems with Internet Explorer & new site design

Guest

Greetings!

I am testing out a new site design here:

http://rene.kabis.org/temp/index.html

Please forgive the strange characters that might pop up, I haven’t
converted the file to UTF-8 yet, but I’m using UTF-8 characters...

Anyhow, I am using the IE7 Standards Compliance patch to force IE to
conform to web standards. Early in the design, things were going nearly
perfect, with the background attaching nicely to the screen and not
scrolling.

However, something changed recently, and I haven’t been able to track it
down. I was hoping that someone could take a look at my source and
figure out why the background(s) aren’t attaching to the screen anymore.
That is, they used to be locked in position, not moving when I scrolled,
but this isn’t happening anymore. In fact, I can’t lock them into the
correct places anymore (bottom left, fixed) at all.

It looks beautiful in Firefox and Opera, but it’s crap in IE due to IE’s
appalling lack of standards support. Even IE7 isn’t helping anymore,
probably due to something I did.

Suggestions?

Thanks.
René Kabis

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

René Kabis said:
Greetings!

I am testing out a new site design here:

http://rene.kabis.org/temp/index.html
It looks beautiful in Firefox and Opera, but itÿs crap in IE due

Before you try to figure out IE, you need to solve the image problem. I
went to your link, immediately saw a blue background with white lorem
ipsum text. About a minute later, images started to appear, one at a
time for the next minute. And I'm on a fast 7Mbps cable connection.

796,775 bytes back-trans.png
227,343 bytes title-trans.png
394,189 bytes screen-trans.png

Waaay too large for a web page.

For some reason I don't have time to investigate, it's also not caching
the images, so I guess we would have to download the meg-and-a-half
every time we went to a different page at the site?

Why are you using XHTML 1.1? You should use HTML 4.01 Strict. The XHTML
could very well be your IE problem.

Jim Moe

René Kabis said:
However, something changed recently, and I haven’t been able to track it
down. I was hoping that someone could take a look at my source and
figure out why the background(s) aren’t attaching to the screen anymore.
That is, they used to be locked in position, not moving when I scrolled,
but this isn’t happening anymore. In fact, I can’t lock them into the
correct places anymore (bottom left, fixed) at all.
IIRC, it requires javascript to fix a block into position. Is that what
"ie7-standard-p.js" does?
It looks beautiful in Firefox and Opera, but it’s crap in IE due to IE’s
appalling lack of standards support. Even IE7 isn’t helping anymore,
probably due to something I did.
Except for the position:fixed and png problems, it looks the same in IE6
as Mozilla.
It would load a *lot* faster if those images where about 1/10 their
current size. Such extreme resolution is unnecessary.

Chaddy2222

René Kabis said:
[...]

Make your PNG images smaller. I am on a 31K dial-up conection and have
no access to a faster conection.
Also, You should not really use fixed persitioning for anything on the
web. It will cause your page too break under various browser settings.
My copy of IE 6 craped it self when I visited your page and it looks
the same in both IE and FireFox.

Guest

Beauregard said:
Before you try to figure out IE, you need to solve the image problem. I
went to your link, immediately saw a blue background with white lorem
ipsum text. About a minute later, images started to appear, one at a
time for the next minute. And I'm on a fast 7Mbps cable connection.

796,775 bytes back-trans.png
227,343 bytes title-trans.png
394,189 bytes screen-trans.png

Waaay too large for a web page.

For some reason I don't have time to investigate, it's also not caching
the images, so I guess we would have to download the meg-and-a-half
every time we went to a different page at the site?

Why are you using XHTML 1.1? You should use HTML 4.01 Strict. The XHTML
could very well be your IE problem.

First of all, discussion about the images are off-topic; as those images
are hardly in a final form. I *know* I have to compress them, I was just
hoping for some help with why the layout suddenly doesn’t work. It did
before, I implemented a raft of changes, and suddenly it doesn’t.Even
backtracking and reverse-engineering doesn’t get me back to a
functioning layout.

And I tried switching doctypes; no effect. :-(

~René

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

René Kabis said:
First of all, discussion about the images are off-topic;

No, they are not; they are part of the page, and may even contribute to
the problem.
as those images
are hardly in a final form. I *know* I have to compress them,

You might get some people to visit the page if they didn't have to wait
~five minutes for it to load. I can't imagine how long it takes for a
dialup user.
I was just hoping for some help with why the layout suddenly doesn’t
work. It did before, I implemented a raft of changes, and suddenly it
doesn’t.

Perhaps implementing changes one at a time is a better way to go?

Why do you have a #body div?

With a maximized browser on an 1152x864 display, all your nav and
content is squished to the right. I'm sure you don't want that to
happen. (Firefox)
Even backtracking and reverse-engineering doesn’t get me back to a
functioning layout.

And I tried switching doctypes; no effect. :-(

Put up a version of the page with HTML 4.01 Strict and let us see what
happens.

Nije Nego

: René Kabis wrote:
:
: > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
: >> Ren? Kabis wrote:
: >>>Greetings!
: >>>
: >>>I am testing out a new site design here:
: >>>
: >>>http://rene.kabis.org/temp/index.html
: >>>...
: >>>It looks beautiful in Firefox and Opera, but it?s crap in IE due
: >>
[...]
: >
[...]
: --
: -bts
: -Warning: I brake for lawn deer

If you really want somebody to help you than you should help them as well.
As Beauregard wrote, you put up more than 1MB of images on your site and you
asked to point out the differences between IE and FF. That's almost 3MB of
download in order to get a preview of your problem.
Also you should state the problem more clearly, "layout doesn't work" is not
a good description.

Well, I have some spare time and I looked into both of your layouts, and
thought your problem could be "fixed" background, not fixed in IE?

Remove your div#body tag, and change body background attachment to
background-position: left top;. If you need to keep up the settings from
#body tag, just copy them into body tag.

Also, IE does not handle transparent png, consider .jpg, gif or adjust image
background to your needs.

If you had some other problem, please shrink your images and state the
situation more clearly.

Regards,

Jonathan N. Little

Beauregard said:
René Kabis wrote:

No, they are not; they are part of the page, and may even contribute to
the problem.

You might get some people to visit the page if they didn't have to wait
~five minutes for it to load. I can't imagine how long it takes for a
dialup user.

Simple, they don't! I get the page no pics! Ctrl-I (Mozilla) Page Info I
was able to download images took about 8 minutes! I'd say it is a issue.

I run 1280 x 960 on a 19 monitor, your large fixed div floated right
when put on a more realistic window size for folks with 15 flat panels
and laptops (significant sample of web browsers) your nav menu is pushed
off screen with no horizontal scroll! That is no ambiguous, that is a
fundamental design error that you need to address.

Oh! Your images finally appeared! Wrong format, try JPG for background
and optimize it with little effort can be a fraction of the size