DLL Load Failure

Karl Kowalski via DotNetMonster.com

Hi!

I'm having serious difficulties using VS.Net to develop a C#-based data-backed website hosted by IIS. The website uses log4net.dll as well as several other needed .Net DLLs to do its thing. The major problem I'm having is that every now and then when I try to launch the application from Visual Studio, instead of seeing the start page I see something that says:

Server Error in '/MyApplication' Application

Configuration Error

Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately..

Parser Error Message: Access is denied: 'log4net'.

{Source Error lines unneeded but available upon request}

Source File: C:\winnt\microsoft.net\framework\v.1.1.4322\Config\machine.config Line:198

Assembly Load Trace: the following information can be helpful to determine why the assembly 'log4net' could not be loaded.

=== Pre-bind state information ===
LOG: DisplayName = log4net
(Partial)
LOG: Appbase = file:{path to application}
LOG: Initial PrivatePath = bin
Calling assembly : (unknown).
===
LOG: Policy not being applied to reference at this time (private, custom, partial, or location-based assembly bind).

........and so on.

Notes:

1. iisrestart does not affect the problem.
2. closing the window and quitting VS IDE does not affect the problem
3. Replacing log4net with a fresh copy does not affect the problem
4. The only way to solve this seems to be
4.a replace log4net
4.b restart the machine
5. Sometimes it isn't log4net, and is instead one of the other DLL files used as a reference within the project
6. I'm currently using log4net v.1.1.1
7. log4net is pushing messages out to the Application Event Log
8. I'm running OS Windows 2000 Pro SP-4 5.00.2195
9. I'm running Visual Studio .Net Enterprise 2003
10. I'm using .Net v 1.1

A week ago, this happened maybe once every couple of days. Now it's happening every other time I try to launch. I'm sure you can imagine what that does to my productivity.

I've noticed that there have been issues like this in the past (some posts here from December of 2003) and I was wondering if anyone had found a fix or patch or knows roughly what I need to do to get my productivity back to normal.

Thanks,

karl