cx_Oracle throws: ImportError: DLL load failed: This application hasfailed to start ...

Ruben van den Berg

I'm on Windows XP SP3, Python 2.7.1. On running

import cx_Oracle

I got the error

ImportError: DLL load failed: This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

I then ran Dependency Walker on cx_Oracle.pyd. Its first complaint was about msvcr80.dll. However, this file is present in C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.91_x-ww_0de56c07. (I believe it's part of the MS Visual Studio C++ 2008 package which I installed.)

I obviously uninstalled and reinstalled the cx_Oracle a couple of times butso far to no avail.

Does anybody have a clue what to try next?

For a screenshot of Dependency Walker, please see: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/116120595/dep_walker_orac.jpg

Chris Angelico

ImportError: DLL load failed: This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

I then ran Dependency Walker on cx_Oracle.pyd. Its first complaint was about msvcr80.dll. However, this file is present in C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.91_x-ww_0de56c07. (I believe it's part of the MS Visual Studio C++ 2008 package which I installed.)

Welcome to DLL hell...

There is one thing I would suggest: Check to see if you've matched the
word size (32-bit vs 64-bit) for Python and all the DLLs. You can't
(normally) load a 64-bit DLL into a 32-bit process or vice versa.

ChrisA

MRAB

I'm on Windows XP SP3, Python 2.7.1. On running

import cx_Oracle

I got the error

ImportError: DLL load failed: This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

I then ran Dependency Walker on cx_Oracle.pyd. Its first complaint was about msvcr80.dll. However, this file is present in C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.91_x-ww_0de56c07. (I believe it's part of the MS Visual Studio C++ 2008 package which I installed.)

I obviously uninstalled and reinstalled the cx_Oracle a couple of times but so far to no avail.

Does anybody have a clue what to try next?

For a screenshot of Dependency Walker, please see: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/116120595/dep_walker_orac.jpg
It looks like it's a path issue.

You say that msvcr80.dll is in
C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.91_x-ww_0de56c07,
but is that folder listed as part of the search path?

Have a look at the Windows' PATH environment variable.