win32ui DLL Load Failed

MikeC

I have a python executable that's failing to load on a user's machine
running Windows XP. My developer machine is also running Windows XP. I
have determined that it is failing when it attempts to load win32ui.

I have Python 2.6 on my developer machine and am using the pywin
support (Mark Hammonds???) for Python 2.6.

In order to make the problem smaller and more managable I created an
executable (with pytoexe) of a 1 one-line python script which does the
following:

import win32ui

Running the one-line script on my machine from python source as well
as from the executable created from the one-line source works fine on
my machine. But when I attempt to run the executable on a target
Windows/XP user machine (without Python) it fails with the following
traceback

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "CheckScan.py", line 7, in <module>
File "PrintImage.pyc", line 1, in <module>
File "win32ui.pyc", line 12, in <module>
File "win32ui.pyc", line 10, in __load
ImportError: DLL load failed: This application has failed to start
because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the
application may fix this problem.

The only thing I can think of regarding the difference between my
machine and the target machine is that I have the .NET framework on my
machine. Is it possible that that is the problem? Running Depends
didn't get me anywhere. I would appreciate any help you can offer.

Mike Driscoll

[...]

Did you install PyWin32? If so, which version? Here's a link:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32/

- Mike

[...]

I assume you're asking about my development machine. Yes I have it
installed. When I bring up PythonWin.exe, here is what is displayed at
the top of the main dialog.

PythonWin 2.6.1 (r261:67517, Dec 4 2008, 16:51:00) [MSC v.1500 32 bit
(Intel)] on win32.
Portions Copyright 1994-2008 Mark Hammond - see 'Help/About PythonWin'
for further copyright information.

(snip)

Make sure you have msvcr71.dll in your Winders/System32 folder? May or
may not fix this issue...???

Dennis Lee Bieber

I assume you're asking about my development machine. Yes I have it
installed. When I bring up PythonWin.exe, here is what is displayed at
the top of the main dialog.

PythonWin 2.6.1 (r261:67517, Dec 4 2008, 16:51:00) [MSC v.1500 32 bit
(Intel)] on win32.
Portions Copyright 1994-2008 Mark Hammond - see 'Help/About PythonWin'
for further copyright information.

No, we aren't asking about your development machine...

PythonWin is just an editor/IDE /demonstrator/ of what can be
written using the win32 extension library.

But you need to install that library on any machine on which you run
a program that does an import from it (any thing that starts "import
win32***" needs the win32 Python DLLs)

win32ui is not a normal Python module -- it's part of that extension
package. (One reason I tend to use the ActiveState Python installers --
they include the win32 extensions; if using any other Python
installation one has to install the win32 package separately)

Gregor Horvath

Am Mon, 31 Aug 2009 12:43:04 -0700 (PDT)
schrieb MikeC said:
I have a python executable that's failing to load on a user's machine
running Windows XP. My developer machine is also running Windows XP. I
have determined that it is failing when it attempts to load win32ui.

I have Python 2.6 on my developer machine and am using the pywin
support (Mark Hammonds???) for Python 2.6.

Try to install:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...34-3e03-4391-8a4d-074b9f2bc1bf&displaylang=en

2.6 is linked against VS8 dlls, which are missing on some machines.