Dll's = where?

reez

Hi All

Ok two questions for ya...

1. I am assuming that websites cannot be compiled into dll's...why
would i want to do that? Basically i have a master file that i want to
share with other apps on my corporate intranet for consistent look and
feel. I was pointed in the right direction i.e. make the snk and
register with GAC, make entries in IIS i.e. app folder under your
root....however...how do i register it with the GAC? I have no
assemblies for the website...unless if i am missing something...can
websites be compiled into assemblies?

2. under my app_code folder i have some .cs files...it was my
understanding that these files would be built into one dll...i cannot
find the dll on my hdd...was i supposed to set up something to compile
into a dll explicitly on that app_code folder?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Oh I am using Visual Web Developer 2005 Beta 2

Reeza

Patrice

1. AFAIK you are totally flexible here with 2.0 (from full compilation to
integral on the fly compilation)
for the master file page, IMO you would just have to point the the same file
(depends if you see your intranet as a single app with several" modules" or
are they distinct applications somehwat integrated) ?

2. Compiled code is likely in a "temporary asp.net" directory. Searching by
date should allow to quickly locate this...

reez

Hi

Thank you for the response. The intranet is a set of separate
module...so i just wanted to have one project with the template items
and reference that..I am not sure if i can achieve that....aside from
that though i tried placing the master in the root folder and creating
several folders underneath it per module and tried referencing the root
master but i got the following error

"Content controls have to be top-level controls in a content page or a
nested master page that references a master page. "

For the life of me i can't figure out what this means...

Right now i would still like to acheive the "separate" template website
and just reference that dll from my other projects....but if i cannot
do that then is it possible to get past this error when accessing the
root master?

Thanks
Reeza

reez

Hi Scott

Thanks for the tip but how do i reference the master file from my aspx
file in that case?

MasterPageFile="???"

Do i need to add the SharedMAsters folder to my website or something?
Not sure how to set up the VS.NEt side now....got IIS Set up but it's
not compiling because it can't find the master

Thank you.

Brock Allen

1. I am assuming that websites cannot be compiled into dll's...why
would i want to do that?

Yes you can. With ASP.NET 2.0 you use aspnet_compile.exe to precompile your
site.
Basically i have a master file that i want to
share with other apps on my corporate intranet for consistent look and
feel.

You'll need to deploy the .master file to every application's directory.
There is a hack where you can map directories into your application directory
to have a common file location, so you'll have to go google around for that.
Sorry I don't have a link off the top of my head.
2. under my app_code folder i have some .cs files...it was my
understanding that these files would be built into one dll...i cannot
find the dll on my hdd...was i supposed to set up something to compile
into a dll explicitly on that app_code folder?

These are compiled into an assembly named __code.dll and it lives nested
under:

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50215\Temporary ASP.NET Files\YourAppNameHere