documentation for ruby?

Mark Wilden

On a mailing list and in most newsreaders you only see one message
body
at a time, especially when you "fetch unread" often. In that case it
does make sense to quote the immediate sentence you are replying to.

Probably. However, consider the history of written communication. When
people wrote letters to each other, or to newspapers, they didn't
usually quote. There's another technique, which incorporates context
into your reply.

I actually spent about a month not quoting anything. No meaning was
lost. But it was much harder work, so I can see why (brief) quoting is
better.
But we do! Watch any talkshow: So Mr A basically said that B sucks. I
concur. Whats your opinion, Mr C?

First, this forum/newsgroup is not a talkshow - it's a time-extended
conversation. People just talk, sometimes to each other, sometimes
over each other. And even in a talkshow, as when a newsperson is
interviewing multiple people at a time (which I think is what you
might be referring to), the entire previous conversation is not
repeated every time someone has something to say.

Imagine a conversation like this:

A: I like ham

B: You like ham. I agree, especially with eggs

A: I like ham and you said that I like ham and then you agreed, adding
that eggs are good with ham. I don't like eggs, though.

B: You like ham, and I agreed, adding the part about the eggs, and
then you...

That's what a typical overquoted Usenet thread is equivalent to. :)

///ark

James D. Maher

As a matter of personal preference, I prefer what seems to be called
"top posting".

While reading, if I've been following a thread, I like to see the new
info first. Replies are often brief and my old eyes sometimes have a
hard time finding where the quoting ends and the reply begins. If I
haven't been following the thread but get interested, I consider it my
responsibility to do the homework and get caught up on previous posts in
the thread.

While replying, I try to write whole sentences that are reasonably
self-explanatory. I usually include (at the bottom) the particular post
that I am replying to - snipped for brevity - just for context.

Point-by-point replies seem understandable to me with inter-posting.
But I still prefer complete sentences and self-explanatory replies.
Again, the quoting simply provides context and is only scanned, not
re-read.

Of course, now I've gone and contributed to a bigger problem - thread
hijacking!

James D. Maher
J.D. Maher & Associates, Inc.

From: "Mark Wilden said:
I've been doing this stuff since 1984. It's only been relatively
recently that I've seen the insistence that bottoming is the "one true
way" and the attempted intimidation of anyone who doesn't agree.

Odd... I've been on Usenet since 1986, but my recollection is
somewhat the opposite.

Seems to me bottom-posted inter-quoting was a well-established
standard on the groups I read back then (comp.sys.amiga, other
programming groups).

If memory serves, the occasional newbie top-post would be met
with references to "netiquette", and requests to not only bottom-
post instead, but also trim for context.

My recollection is top-posting was actively discouraged, but
overall relatively rare until the advent of AOL, Netscape, and
SLIP/PPP connections which opened the floodgates, allowing
residential users onto the Internet by the millions. . . .

Unleashing an army of newbies armed with news and email software,
which, as has already been mentioned elsewhere on this thread,
encouraged top-posting by default. . .

Quotes should be trimmed. :)

Agreed 100% :)

Regards,