DOM dynamically built table and addEventListener....

Jorge

I'm missing the reason to call it a "bug". It is an additional flag in
Microsoft model allowing to lock/unlock "document" object
augmentation.

The "law" we were talking about is that you should not, never ever,
add/use custom properties to host objects, more specifically
to dynamically created DOM element objects.

For example, create a <li> with
e= document.createElement('li');
then attach a custom property :
e.customProperty= whatever;

I wonder, and forgot to ask, if the same rule applies to properties
created by :

e.setAttribute('customProperty', whatever);
I guess you are quoting some resource, but which one?

Tip: copy a sentence and paste it in google (enclosed in
quotes)... :)
http://www.google.com/search?q="Microsoft+does+not+tolerate+custom"

--Jorge.

Evertjan.

Jorge wrote on 03 jun 2008 in comp.lang.javascript:
The "law" we were talking about is that you should not, never ever,
add/use custom properties to host objects, more specifically
to dynamically created DOM element objects.

And why is that may I ask?

Any object can have custom properies, methinks.
So it stands to logic and it works.
Why that "law", and whose law?

VK

The "law" we were talking about is that you should not, never ever,
add/use custom properties to host objects, more specifically
to dynamically created DOM element objects.

I never heard about such "law". In the way as spelled above it is
definitely plain b.s. Leaving out the casual augmentation, read about
XBL (Mozilla) and behaviors (Microsoft)
For example, create a <li> with
e= document.createElement('li');
then attach a custom property :
e.customProperty= whatever;

so what problems are we having and where with that?
I wonder, and forgot to ask, if the same rule applies to properties
created by :

e.setAttribute('customProperty', whatever);

there is not such "law" or "rule" so nothing to apply.
Tip: copy a sentence and paste it in google (enclosed in
quotes)... :)http://www.google.com/search?q="Microsoft+does+not+tolerate+custom"

AFAICT it gives one hit to a post of someone Jason Smestad. Is it some
hugely authoritative person in Javascript programming? Who is he?

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Jorge said:
[...]
Note, however this paragraph in the test log :

+Because neither WinIE nor FF has reasonable or predictable behavior
in this scenario, this test just documents our behavior to ensure that
we don't change it accidentally. It is not a prescription for how
things should behave.

And that, Thomas, explains why these bugs have never bitten me... :

because in Safari/WebKit, those things **work fine, as they should**.

Utter nonsense.

PointedEars

Jorge

Utter nonsense.

Yes, "Utter nonsense".
I might be wrong, of course.
But can you prove that ?

Could you write a (small) code snippet that proves what you say, so
that we can see/compare its behaviour among different browsers ?
Please ?

Thanks,
--Jorge.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Jorge said:
Yes, "Utter nonsense".
I might be wrong, of course.

You *are* wrong.
But can you prove that ?

I have already proven that. The Language Specification allows host objects
to implement [[Get]] and [[Put]] as their respective implementor sees fit.
Could you write a (small) code snippet that proves what you say, so
that we can see/compare its behaviour among different browsers ?

Gladly. Which object reference, which property name, and if [[Put]], which
value?

PointedEars

Jorge

Could you write a (small) code snippet that proves what you say, so
that we can see/compare its behaviour among different browsers ?

Gladly.  Which object reference, which property name, and if [[Put]], which
value?

It doesn't matter.
Come on.

--Jorge.