Donloadin mail on the background

Francesco Pietra

Dennis:

Why am I using web-based email? As I work on several machines scp linked. I
find often useful to see the same mail on different machines around, without
downloading anything, just to set up the files on-the-fly for local trial
computation before sending a calculation to the mainframe. That I found easy
with web-based email. I do not maintain locally on any machine any mail for
longer than working on.

I am sure you have, or can devise, a better strategy to the same purpose. I am
not an expert in software.

Regards
francesco pietra

Dennis Lee Bieber

I am sure you have, or can devise, a better strategy to the same purpose. I am
not an expert in software.
The discontinued Eudora client did have options for "leave mail on
server", but that did imply one would have multiple copies downloaded --
and special tricks would be needed to handle deletion properly... For
SMTP...

But for your use, I suspect finding an IMAP mail server would be
more appropriate (and compatible IMAP client -- Eudora understands IMAP,
I believe, but I don't have access to an IMAP server). These are
designed, if memory serves, to keep mail on the server, and essentially
only the headers are sent to the client...
--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG
HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/