doubts about Raster and BufferedImage

mark jason

hi,
what is the purpose of the optionally preallocated double array in the
method getPixels of class Raster ?

public double[] getPixels(int x,int y,int w, int h,double[] dArray)

I was playing around with the api to create a BufferedImage using a
double array,andwas trying to normalise the pixel values as follows.
I expected to find the normalised values in the final array ,but it
still contains the original image data. Obviously the
this.bi.getRaster().setPixels(0,0,this.getWidth(),this.getHeight(),ndata)
doesn't do what I thought it would do.
if somebody can tell me where I messed it up ,it will be great.

thanks and regards,

mark

<code>
import java.awt.image.BufferedImage;
import java.awt.image.ColorConvertOp;
import java.io.File;
import java.io.IOException;
import javax.imageio.ImageIO;

public class MyImage {

private BufferedImage bi;//of type BufferedImage.TYPE_BYTE_GRAY
private String fileName;
public MyImage(String imageFileName) throws IOException{
this.fileName = imageFileName;
File imageFile = new File(imageFileName);
this.bi=makeGrayScaleImage(ImageIO.read(imageFile));
}
public MyImage(String imageName,int width,int height,double[] data){
if (data.length != width*height){
throw new IllegalArgumentException("data size must be equal to
"+width*height);
}
this.bi = new BufferedImage(width, height,
BufferedImage.TYPE_BYTE_GRAY);
this.bi.getRaster().setPixels(0, 0, width, height, data);
this.fileName = imageName;
}
private BufferedImage makeGrayScaleImage(BufferedImage img) {
BufferedImage gray = null;
try{
gray = new BufferedImage(img.getWidth(),img.getHeight(),
BufferedImage.TYPE_BYTE_GRAY);
ColorConvertOp ccop = new ColorConvertOp(
img.getColorModel().getColorSpace(),
gray.getColorModel().getColorSpace(),null);
ccop.filter(img,gray);

}catch(Exception e){
System.err.println("grayscale conversion failed");
}
return gray;
}
public int getWidth(){
return this.bi.getWidth();
}
public int getHeight(){
return this.bi.getHeight();
}
public double[] getData(){
int h = getHeight();
int w = getWidth();
double[] data = new double[h*w];
double[] pdata=this.bi.getData().getPixels(0,0,w,h,data);
return pdata;
}
public void normaliseImageData(){
double[] ndata = getNormalisedData();

this.bi.getRaster().setPixels(0,0,this.getWidth(),this.getHeight(),ndata);
}
private double[] getNormalisedData(){
double[] d=getData();
double maxval=max(d);
for (int i=0;i<d.length;i++){
d/=maxval;
}
return d;
}
private static double max(double[] arr){
double m=Double.MIN_VALUE;
for(int i=0;i<arr.length;i++){
m=Math.max(m,arr);
}
return m;
}
private static void printArray(double[] a){
for (double x:a){
System.out.print(x+" ");
}
System.out.println();
}
private static void debug(String msg) {
System.out.println(msg);
MyImage my = new MyImage("dummy.png", 4, 5, new double[]
{23,32,13,55,65,36,46,64,27,43,71,58,38,25,62,47,19,72,37,55});
double[] data = my.getData();
debug("original image data:");
printArray(data);
double[] ndata = my.getNormalisedData();
debug("normalised data:");
printArray(ndata);
debug("image data after normalisation:");
double[] newdata = my.getData();
printArray(newdata);

</code>

mark jason

for some reason the format gets screwed up when I copy the code from
eclipse to the html page..
I tried to correct it by deleting spaces on each line.. still it looks
ugly
sorry for this

John B. Matthews

[...]
I was playing around with the api to create a BufferedImage using a
double array,andwas trying to normalise the pixel values as follows.
I expected to find the normalised values in the final array, but it
still contains the original image data. Obviously the
[normaliseImageData() method] doesn't do what I thought it would do.
if somebody can tell me where I messed it up, it will be great.

I think you forgot to call my.normaliseImageData();
for some reason the format gets screwed up when I copy the code from
eclipse to the html page.. I tried to correct it by deleting spaces
on each line.. still it looks ugly

Looks like a tab problem; <http://sscce.org/> has a lot of good
information on this.

Lew

for some reason the format gets screwed up when I copy the code from
eclipse to the html [sic] page..
I tried to correct it by deleting spaces on each line.. still it looks
ugly

I thought your issue was with Swing and Java2D. You might have mentioned that
it involved HTML before.

You are aware that HTML collapses all whitespace to a single space upon
presentation, right?

On a side note, please do not embed TABs in Usenet code listings. Use spaces
to indent listings, up to four spaces per indent level. It makes the listings
much easier to read.