Downloading Java Plugin 1.3

Jared

Hello everyone,

I have developed a Java Applet (Applet #1) that uses the Java 1.4
Plugin. However, I have found that this Plugin causes another Applet
(Applet #2) I to malfunction. For some strange reason, Applet #2
functions properly with the Java 1.3 Plugin. Applet #1 functions
properly with either the 1.3 or 1.4 Plugin.

Since #1 and #2 Applets both work with the 1.3 Java Plugin, I want
users to have the 1.3 Plugin installed on their machine when they
access the applet webpage. However, when I include the line
codebase = "http://java.sun.com/products/plugin/1.3/jinstall-13-win32.cab#Version=1,3,0,0"
into the HTML applet webpage, the browser always downloads the most
recent version of the 1.3 plugin (like 1.3.1_09). But Applet #2 ONLY
works when the original 1.3 Java Plugin is installed!

What code should I include on my applet HTML page to force the user to
download the 1.3 version of the Java Plugin? I can't use the 1.3.1_09
version.

Thank you,
Jared Hagel

Jeff

If applet #2 is under your control, you should fix
it to work with 1.4. I've found a lot of things (mostly
Swing related) that stopped working as expected under
1.4. Your problem will only get worse as new versions
are released.

Jared

If applet #2 is under your control, you should fix
it to work with 1.4. I've found a lot of things (mostly
Swing related) that stopped working as expected under
1.4. Your problem will only get worse as new versions
are released.

Unfortunately, applet #2 isn't under my control.
Your problem will only get worse as new versions
are released.

That is a good point. Perhaps I should think of an alternate solution.

Thanks,
Jared