Drafting of Ruby International Standard

Shugo Maeda

Hello,

I have news to tell you today.

IPA (Information-Technology Promotion Agency, Japan) had invited
public participation in drafting of Ruby International Standard, and
my company, NaCl (Network Applied Communication Laboratory Ltd.), was
adopted.

IPA is an affiliated organization of the Ministry of Economy, Trade
and Industry of Japan. They supports development of open source
softwares, and have an interest in Ruby. Ruby is spreading quickly in
the world. However, there could be problems in some domains from lack
of officially documented language specification of Ruby, especially
among the public sectors. That's the reason why IPA launched this
drafting project.

We, NaCl have been sponsoring development of Ruby since 1997, but Ruby
has been, and will remain Matz's personal project. NaCl will not
claim any ownership nor control over the language. We believe that
community driven development is the best way to develop Ruby. So
we'll extract the language specification from implementations, and
just write it down. We don't want Ruby to be a straight-laced
language, so take care our draft (which should be the international
standard) not to prevent free development of Ruby.

The project is just started, and we're preparing a lot of works.
We'll inform you further information in the near future.

Thanks,
Shugo

Craig Demyanovich

Is your extraction of the language specification from the various
implementations going to be separate from the RubySpec [
http://rubyspec.org/ ] effort? If so, why?

Regards,
Craig

Robert Klemme

I have news to tell you today.

These are really interesting news!
IPA (Information-Technology Promotion Agency, Japan) had invited
public participation in drafting of Ruby International Standard, and
my company, NaCl (Network Applied Communication Laboratory Ltd.), was
adopted.
The project is just started, and we're preparing a lot of works.
We'll inform you further information in the near future.

Is there anything we (the community) can contribute?

Kind regards

robert

Bil Kleb

Craig said:
Is your extraction of the language specification from the various
implementations going to be separate from the RubySpec [
http://rubyspec.org/ ] effort? If so, why?

Same questions came to mind. IMHO, an executable spec is the
only way to go for a programming language.

Regards,

Shugo Maeda

Hi,

Robert Klemme said:
Is there anything we (the community) can contribute?

Thank you.

We will prepare a public mailing list for this project, and notify
drafting
policy, progress, and drafts in process of creation. Any comments
will be
welcome.

Shugo