Dreamweaver funtionality on Linux

Robert

It seems to be a fairly trivial matter to set up (in Dreamweaver) the
checking in and out of files from a remote server to avoid the problem
of two people editing the same file at the same time.

Does anyone know if this can be dome in Linux? (I'm running Slackware
10.1 on a 2.4.29 kernel and kde 3.3.2). I have Bluefish and Quanta Plus
installed and have googled through a lot of cvs pages but it all seems
a bit overboard for what I want.

I did follow instructions here,
http://invisiblepixels.org/progs/quanta.html#cerv regarding Quanta Plus
but I don't get the 'extra menus and extra entries within existing
menus' added as it suggests should happen and I don't know why.

Maybe I should ask this in a linux group, but I thought I would start
here. I'm hoping there's a ready made solution that I haven't found
yet.

regards,

Roy Schestowitz

__/ [Robert] on Sunday 11 September 2005 13:11 \__
It seems to be a fairly trivial matter to set up (in Dreamweaver) the
checking in and out of files from a remote server to avoid the problem
of two people editing the same file at the same time.

Possibility #1: Have you considered a Wiki? Whether it is an appropriate
solution or not depends on your site. You can easily copy and paste HTML
code to and from the Wiki's textarea.

Possibility #2: I you collaborate on files, how about removing them from the
server (literally checking them out) rather than copying them? When done,
put the file/s back in place.

Possibility #3: Set up a CVS repository where you work on your site/s. A
cron job will copy files from the repository to the Web server/public_html
area. We have that set up in the Division. Not only can you lock files, but
merging is possible too.

Does anyone know if this can be done in Linux? (I'm running Slackware
10.1 on a 2.4.29 kernel and kde 3.3.2). I have Bluefish and Quanta Plus
installed and have googled through a lot of cvs pages but it all seems
a bit overboard for what I want.

I don't know Bluefish, but Quanta Plus is a great tool, especially if you
get yourself accustomed to it.

I did follow instructions here,
http://invisiblepixels.org/progs/quanta.html#cerv regarding Quanta Plus
but I don't get the 'extra menus and extra entries within existing
menus' added as it suggests should happen and I don't know why.

Maybe I should ask this in a linux group, but I thought I would start
here. I'm hoping there's a ready made solution that I haven't found
yet.

regards,

If you are not satisfied with the replies here, you can always take your
business to the Linux groups. *smile* alt.os.linux.suse is occupied by some
very experienced members 'pool'.

Roy

Robert

Roy said:
Possibility #1: Have you considered a Wiki? Whether it is an
appropriate solution or not depends on your site. You can easily copy
and paste HTML code to and from the Wiki's textarea.

In some scenarios this is certainly ideal but not quite what I'm looking
for in this case I'm afraid.
Possibility #2: I you collaborate on files, how about removing them
from the server (literally checking them out) rather than copying
them? When done, put the file/s back in place.

Good idea which didn't actually occur to me. Although I suppose this
would mean no site online it could be a solution for a quick update.
Possibility #3: Set up a CVS repository where you work on your site/s.
A cron job will copy files from the repository to the Web
server/public_html area. We have that set up in the Division. Not only
can you lock files, but merging is possible too.

This is the one that intrigues me. I think I will definitely carry on
looking in to this. As I said I have been reading up on cvs but I was
under the impression that the cvs repository had to be on the remote
server for it to work. If I had the cvs repository on my local machine
could I grant remote access to my colleague? I guess I could somehow.
I don't know Bluefish, but Quanta Plus is a great tool, especially if
you get yourself accustomed to it.

I have been using bluefish almost exclusively for the last couple of
years but today fired up Quanta during my search and I do actually
intend to give it a go as I quite like the look of it.
If you are not satisfied with the replies here, you can always take
your business to the Linux groups. *smile* alt.os.linux.suse is
occupied by some very experienced members 'pool'.

Thank you Roy for your thoughts on this, you have been most helpful.

regards,

SpaceGirl

#3 would be my choice. There is a good Windows client too (Tortois). CVS
and Tortois are free.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

# this post (c) Miranda Thomas 2005
# explicitly no permission given to Forum4Designers
# to duplicate this post.

Roy Schestowitz

__/ [SpaceGirl] on Sunday 11 September 2005 20:27 \__
Roy said:
__/ [Robert] on Sunday 11 September 2005 13:11 \__

It seems to be a fairly trivial matter to set up (in Dreamweaver) the
checking in and out of files from a remote server to avoid the problem
of two people editing the same file at the same time.

<SNIP>
#3 would be my choice. There is a good Windows client too (Tortois). CVS
and Tortois are free.

Yes, many people in the Division use TortoiseCVS. There are a few challenges
to get past at this stage:

1) Setting up the repository. On your own computer? The colleague's
computer? An independent machine? The Web server? (do not make the
repository itself a Web server)

2) Making the cron job efficient. The more often you can poll and apply the
changes to the public directory, the less time you will have to spend
waiting for changes to appear on the Web.

Roy