DropDownList web control is not visible

Gary B

I have been developing a asp .net web application for
some time now. All of my development and testing has been
on a Windows XP machine.

I am running into a problem now with a client machine
running Windows 98. They cannot see any DropDownList
controls that are embedded inside of a DataGrid.

What they are seeing is the same as if the Visible
property for those controls were set to false.

Again everything works great on all XP clients.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks
Here is an example:

<asp:datagrid id="report" ...>
<Columns>
<asp:TemplateColumn HeaderText="Gender">
<ItemTemplate>
<asp:DropDownList ID="gender" Runat="server"
DataValueField="ID" CssClass="dropDownList"
DataTextField="Gender" SelectedIndex='<%# Convert.ToInt32
((bool)DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem, "gender")) %>'>

<asp:ListItem Selected="True" Value="0"
Female</asp:ListItem>
<asp:ListItem Value="1">Male</asp:ListItem>

</asp:DropDownList>
</ItemTemplate>
</asp:TemplateColumn>
</Columns>
</asp:datagrid>

Victor Garcia Aprea [MVP]

Hi Gary,

This looks like a browser rendering issue. What versiones of IE are you
running in each system? Also take a look at the rendered html (View->Source)
and compare both versions to see if they differ.

--
Victor Garcia Aprea
Microsoft MVP | ASP.NET

Gary B

Victor,

Thank you very much for your advise. I know that the
versions of IE are the same and when I get a chance I
will look at the html source code.

I did find out that it really had nothing to do with the
fact that the dropdownlist was inside of a datagid.

If I populate the datagid with a substantial amout of data
(excess of 150 rows), all of the dropdownlist boxes on
the page goes away (visually, again I will check the
html) whether they are in the datagrid or not.

I don't know if this is some kind of memory issue.

Anyways, I will check the source code.

Thank you,
Gary