dtdparse reading schema?

ceplma

Hi,

I love Kate XML plugin <http://kate.kde.org/> which understands XML
document structure by reading output of dtdparse. However, DTDs seem to
be kind of dying out (slowly, but sure) and everybody turns to schema.
Would it be possible to create a variant of dtdparse, which would
produce the same output (i.e., it would be useful with Kate, dtdformat,
etc.) but based on reading Schema, not DTD? Or is it the most stupid
idea under the Sun? Did anybody tried to do something like that?

Thanks for any reply or for pointing out why I am clueless newbie

Matej

Juergen Kahrs

I love Kate XML plugin <http://kate.kde.org/> which understands XML
document structure by reading output of dtdparse. However, DTDs seem to
be kind of dying out (slowly, but sure) and everybody turns to schema.

No, DTD is not disappearing, it is part of the standard.
DTD has a much broader acceptance, but it is simply not hype.

No, not everybody is turning to Schema.
I bet that that the canonical Schema will disappear.
Did you notice that the creators of canonical Schema
have abandoned their own Schema creation ? They have
(almost silently) started to replace it with something
else (whats it ? left as an exercise to the reader).

ceplma

Well, I know that this is a matter of much controversy (and struggle
between Schema and Relax NG or maybe even something else), but the
matter of fact is that when I wanted to edit new file using OSIS
<http://www.bibletechnologies.net/osisCore.2.1.xsd> there is no DTD
available. Which is the reason why I asked about some other way how to
get it into Kate.

Thanks for reply,

Matej

Juergen Kahrs

matter of fact is that when I wanted to edit new file using OSIS
<http://www.bibletechnologies.net/osisCore.2.1.xsd> there is no DTD
available. Which is the reason why I asked about some other way how to
get it into Kate.

The easiest way probably is to write a DTD.
Maybe there is a converter for this task.
Some weeks ago, someone asked for such a tool
in this newsgroup.

You also guessed boldly:
However, DTDs seem to
be kind of dying out (slowly, but sure)

DTD probably dies out just like FORTRAN dies out for some decades now.