Dual Links

Hey!

I have a problem and i am looking to implenement a simple
solution. On our site we have an ecom system, but we also
have a backup system incase the first system fails for
whatever reason, not likey to happen, but just in case.

So for every buy link on our site we have to put the
secondary system.

Does anyone know a way to implement this is such a way i
can have a master login (say to a database) and i type a
code and all the links would goto the seconday page, and
if i pressed another code they go back to normal.

Bascially i want a way to switch out everything on the
fly, so i dont have to go and rename all the backup links
to the first links, and vice versa, as the links that
need to be changed is growing, and would be hard to
switch all in an emergencyu.

Any input would be great.

Thanks!!

Aaron Bertrand [MVP]

An alternative to global.asa, but the same basic approach as Curt's
suggestion, would be to store the information in the database, and pull it
in as a variable in an include file.

(This way, you can change the database and it affects the very next page
load, without having to change global.asa--which may kill valid sessions,
and have other ill effects.)

Ray at

I'd have to say that such a thing should be handle with your internal
routing on your network. If serverA goes down, reroute the http requests to
serverB. Of course, as you realize, switching servers on the fly will lose
your sessions, so your idea of storing data in a database (on serverC) would
be a good solution.

Ray at home

Aaron Bertrand [MVP]

I'd have to say that such a thing should be handle with your internal
routing on your network. If serverA goes down, reroute the http requests
serverB.

Ah, the trade-offs of redundancy, fault tolerance and/or load balancing.
And $$$. And time to configure/maintain. I'm glad we have network admins
for that side of things. ;-)

But still, it's good to understand how they work, also...