Durability and backward compatibility over 10 years...

Discussion in 'Python' started by Philippe DAVID, Dec 19, 2007.

  1. Hi,

    I would like to use python to write some scripts for a system that will be used
    for more than 10 years. My problem is the following:
    In 10 years, if the OS evolves and ships with the latest stable version of
    python, is there a chance for my 10 year old scripts to run on the new system ?
    (I am using the following imports: os, sys, md5, getopt, socket, UserDict).
    Currently we are using a RHEL linux, it includes python 2, 2.3 and 2.5. How old
    is this python 2 ?

    I don't need to be 100% sure that it will work, but avoiding upgrades of the
    scripts would be a significant plus.

    Otherwise, is it possible to do something similar like static compiling in C ? I
    mean having one file, or a little set of files that contain my scripts and what
    is needed from the python libs to run them ? This way I could ship the scripts
    and some executables and be pretty much confident it will run even on new
    systems for a long time.

    Regards,
    Philippe

    Philippe DAVID, Dec 19, 2007