dynamically inserting table rows in IE generates "interface not supported"

lsiden

I wrote some script that takes a single row from a table, copies it
with cloneNode(true), then appends it to the TBODY. I have tested this
in Mozilla 1.7.3 and Firefox 1.0 it works perfectly. It also work in
IE 6.0 if the table row does not contain any SELECT inputs in any of
its cells. But if there are one or more SELECT inputs cloned with the
table row, IE generates the infamous "interface not found" error.

This error has been documented and discussed in a slightly different
context in the thread "copying element into new window" from Nov 2002.
However, in that thread, the problem had to do with creating a copy of
a node from one HTML document and inserting it into another.
JohnOllier [sic], the responder, stated "IE's HTML implementation
doesn't allow you to insert a node from one document (or a node cloned
from a node in one document) into another document." But my
application is cloning a node and inserting it into the _same_
document.

Has anyone else encountered this problem when using IE and have they
found a workaround?

Respectfully,
Larry Siden
http://umich.edu/~lsiden/