Eclipse plugin from source code

navs

Hi All,

I am trying to make an Eclipse plugin for the Java software. I have
the source code of the software, i am not sure how to go about
building plugin for eclipse from the source code. I tried doing the
"convert the Project to plugin Project" but when I try to export as
*.jar it fails. Is there any good tutorial that can explain about how
to build eclipse plugin from the source code?...Please do let me know.
I am pretty much new to Java and eclipse.

Thanks
navs

Christian

navs said:
Hi All,

I am trying to make an Eclipse plugin for the Java software. I have
the source code of the software, i am not sure how to go about
building plugin for eclipse from the source code. I tried doing the
"convert the Project to plugin Project" but when I try to export as
*.jar it fails. Is there any good tutorial that can explain about how
to build eclipse plugin from the source code?...Please do let me know.
I am pretty much new to Java and eclipse.

Thanks
navs

you don't export plugins as normal jars ...
they need some additional metdata .. (plugin.xml /manifest)

eclipse has a wizard to do this. Still if you don't know this I don't
see how you could have created a working plugin.
I would recommend you the Book eclipse Rich Client Platform from Jeff
McAffer an Jean-Michel Lemieux ..
It has a good tutorial on RCP and the plugin mechanism in general.
It might be what you are looking for.

Christian