Eclipse/PyQt/Eric4 question

king kikapu

Hi, this is actually goes to whoever is using Eclipse and Eric4, the
IDE that comes bundled with PyQt.
I was using Eclipse until i saw Eric4 and i started experiment with
it, very nice work.

Eric4 has a feature that actually reminds us the work of some
expensive IDEs, like Visual Studio, Delphi and the like: when you
compile your project, it checks to see if some .ui files (Qt Designer
form files) has changed and if so, it call pyuic.bat and compiles it
(or them) transparently so it then runs your program with latest form
changes.

In Eclipse, i have the luxury of double-click a .ui file and thus Qt
Designer opens and then design my forms there, but i cannot fing an
automatic way to accomplish the thing that eric4 does: e.x.
automatically compile changed .ui files when i hit F9. And it really a
loss of time to go to dos-prompt and do this manually.

Has anyone who work on Eclipse/PyDev and PyQt, found a way to do
this ??

Fabio Zadrozny

In Eclipse, i have the luxury of double-click a .ui file and thus Qt
Designer opens and then design my forms there, but i cannot fing an
automatic way to accomplish the thing that eric4 does: e.x.
automatically compile changed .ui files when i hit F9. And it really a
loss of time to go to dos-prompt and do this manually.

Has anyone who work on Eclipse/PyDev and PyQt, found a way to do
this ??

You can create a builder for calling an external program to do that on
builds (right-click project -> properties > Builders).

Another option is configuring an external program run --> menu: run >
external tools > open external tools dialog (and you can bind a
shortcut to rerun the last external tool launched).

Cheers,

Fabio

king kikapu

You can create a builder for calling an external program to do that on
builds (right-click project -> properties > Builders).

Another option is configuring an external program run --> menu: run >
external tools > open external tools dialog (and you can bind a
shortcut to rerun the last external tool launched).

Cheers,

Fabio

Hmmm...but this means that i am forced to do this for ALL .ui files on
the project, either changed or not and this can slow things down...
(pyuic.bat can run for one or for ALL .ui files)
The goal is to find a way to automatically do this only for the
changed ones, like eric does...

Anyway, thanks for the help!

Fabio Zadrozny

Hmmm...but this means that i am forced to do this for ALL .ui files on
the project, either changed or not and this can slow things down...
(pyuic.bat can run for one or for ALL .ui files)
The goal is to find a way to automatically do this only for the
changed ones, like eric does...

When you do a new builder, you can make it be run only when a file is
changed, and you can select as arguments only receiving the files
changed (build_files)... take a look at the variables to specify as
arguments (you could also select 'python.exe' as the external program
and choose some python script as argument + the files changed).

The auto-build can be specified at the build options tab.

Cheers,

Fabio

king kikapu

When you do a new builder, you can make it be run only when a file is
changed, and you can select as arguments only receiving the files
changed (build_files)... take a look at the variables to specify as
arguments (you could also select 'python.exe' as the external program
and choose some python script as argument + the files changed).

The auto-build can be specified at the build options tab.

Cheers,

Fabio

Axa! I didn't know (or better, i didn't experiment enough) this...So,
basically you tell me that this is possible on Eclipse! I will test it
at home on the afternoon, is sounds great!

straub

Axa! I didn't know (or better, i didn't experiment enough) this...So,
basically you tell me that this is possible on Eclipse! I will test it
at home on the afternoon, is sounds great!- Zitierten Text ausblenden -

- Zitierten Text anzeigen -

Hi -
in fact, you can do pretty much everything you have to do with pydev
in eclipse. Eclipse itself is very flexible, robust and intuitive.
pydev may be a touch too nervous, but is very supportive. It has a few
bugs, but none lethal. Only setback is that you have to pay a small
licence fee. Since I don't have a credit card, i had to switch to
eric4. Has more bugs, crashes more often and doesn't have as nice a
look-and-feel as eclipse. Loading upgrades for eric is a little bit
more complicated than in eclipse, which is extremely efficient.
Overall, eric is good enough for hobby programming where time doesn't
count as much (it's only your wife complaining, not your boss).

Regards
Bernhard

Fabio Zadrozny

Hi -
in fact, you can do pretty much everything you have to do with pydev
in eclipse. Eclipse itself is very flexible, robust and intuitive.
pydev may be a touch too nervous, but is very supportive. It has a few
bugs, but none lethal. Only setback is that you have to pay a small
licence fee. Since I don't have a credit card, i had to switch to
eric4. Has more bugs, crashes more often and doesn't have as nice a
look-and-feel as eclipse. Loading upgrades for eric is a little bit
more complicated than in eclipse, which is extremely efficient.
Overall, eric is good enough for hobby programming where time doesn't
count as much (it's only your wife complaining, not your boss).

Actually, Pydev itself is open source: http://pydev.sourceforge.net/
-- You do have to pay for Pydev Extensions: http://fabioz.com/pydev/
but you can use Pydev by itself without any problems... (you can see
the difference between both at:
http://fabioz.com/pydev/manual_adv_features.html )

Cheers,

Fabio